Best floorstanders under $600

I'm looking at Monitor Audio BR5's and Wharfedale 9.6's. I like Evo 30's but can't afford them. I know both of these are mid-fi speakers but all my budget will allow. Has anyone heard both? Can you pass on stregnths + weakness?
Are the BR5's worth $100 more?
If you know the Wharfedales, how do 9'5's compare to 9.6's?
I can't audition so I'm collecting as much info as possible.
I would also listen to any other brand suggestions for towers under $600.
I listen to mostly rock, some jazz and classical.
I have a sub but would like the towers to be able to stand alone. 60% music/30% movies/10% admiring.
Many thanks
griffinconst
Big +1 on the Sound Dynamics 300ti! I don't know how many pairs of those I recommended to friends when Audio Advisor was closing out the last production run at $500/pair. Every single buyer (and there had to be about a dozen) I know who bought was absolutely ecstatic about what those speakers brought to the party.

That also says something about how amp-friendly they are. Most of these people plugged them into mass market receivers. For one guy, however, it sparked off a complete system upgrade and overhaul, with new (closeout) Counterpoint electronics, upgraded CD player, new cartridge, etc. I heard the 300ti's at his house and a couple pairs at another house, and they simply sound right with no obvious weaknesses: Smooth even in-room power response, wide, uniform dispersion, frequency extension at both ends with smooth treble and clean tight bass.
Upscale Audio is closing out the Triangle Heliade @ $700/pr new. This is a little over your stated limit, but the speaker was competitive at its list price of $1400/pr, so it's worth at least thinking about. It's a good looking, good sounding, easy to drive tower speaker with a smallish footprint. The only real downside in that response below app 40hz is MIA.

Good Luck

Marty
Athenas would share the API "house sound" with the SD300ti's, which are also an API speaker. The Athenas are probably a little faster and cleaner.

Compared to the Arros, the 300ti would sound fuller and more extended. The Arro would be faster, more transparent, but not as extended or full-sounding in the bottom.