Sold in one day

Someone listed an ARC ref-75 yesterday with the SE upgrade. Didn't last a day.
taters
I think also supply and demand applies here. A few years ago I noticed that certain familiar items were listed for a few hundred dollars less then they are now, as there was more of the same item listed for sale. Now once in awhile they rarely make an appearance on the used market and the seller is asking a premium price.

I can tell you that I have sold and purchased many items over the past few years and more recently, unless you have something rare and special, you can't expect a fast sale anymore like back in the day.
The 'good stuff' doesn't come up often and won't last long, here. I have a few items on my list that if I see them, Im nailing it. My Jeff Rowland preamp came up and I bought it and it was the first day. My email was 10th in but the 1st "I'll take it", so I became the luckiest audiophile in the world that day. Today, it may be you.
I'm with Cerrot. If there is something I'm looking for, and it doesn't come up often - then if the price is reasonable, I just pay the asking price.

A few months ago, a Ref 75 came up, which I'd been looking for for a few weeks. The price was $6000, and I took it - and I know the seller had other offers.

If I wanted to get the amp for $5700 or $5800, then if I were patient, maybe I could find it for that price. Though if I went that way, I'd still be looking for the amp months later - and then if one camp up, I might very well miss out anyway.
Cerrot, an audiophile friend (John) and I discussed this matter between ourselves and both agreed that if you see an item for sale that you really want, you should not try and lowball the seller, rather offer the full asking price especially if it's priced sensibly. So I agree with your reasoning if you want something bad enough.