Can you get "bookshelf sound" from a floorstander?

Listened to B&W's 6 series and much prefered the 686 and 685 to the more expensive floorstanders. I'm a junkie for clear and coherent vocals and the floorstanders seemed to muddy the sound.
Listened to Dynaudio Focus 110s and loved them. Compared them to the Contour 5.4s and I loved the top end of them even more than the Focus' but was again bothered by what I want to call an incoherence... lack of focus... integration... with the low end.

Owned Totem Arros and Dreamcatcher monitors with Dreamcatcher sub and prefered the dreamcatcher monitors over the Arros and without the sub, too.

Am I just a bookshelf guy? Was it my choice of floorstanders? Setup? Anyone have better words to describe what I'm trying to say? I certainly love the low end and dynamic grunt of the big ones but not at such expense.
128x128eyediver
9rw,

I tend to agree with you re: accuracy...to an extent.

I've measured the VSMs @ +/- 4db from 120hz to 15khz in my last room, and -3db at 33hz, -10db at 25hz: which is pretty good in my book. (There was some unappetizing lumpiness between 35hz and 120hz, but it's all room related).

Unfortunately, that's a static test tone, on-axis measurement. It's the best measurement we have -IMHO- for judging accuracy, but far from dispositive. By this test, the VSMs are as good as anything I've measured (except for the room corrected subs below app 80hz). I still can't say that makes them more accurate than others which do worse on this particular test because some people may prefer room response to on-axis testing. There are also tests for dynamic behavior (which I've never tried). Are small errors in the mid-range more important than somewhat larger errors above or below the key midle octaves. Small colorations vs octave to octave imbalances? How do you prioritize?

So, to be fair, accuracy is somewhat subjective - you pick your test to reflect your priorities.

Marty
Marty: Frequency response is just half of the equation. The other half is phase- and time-coherency. Bobby's latest designs may in fact be a lot better than the speakers I owned, but I wouldn't be willing to spend $10,000 or more to find out. You're still limited by the basic design in terms of dynamic capability and coherency. Like it or not, but properly designed large speaker systems simply have greater capabilities. This may not matter if you have a small room, prefer intimacy and don't care about a sense of realism.
Guys, especially Bobby, Some this debate os fine, but please remember that OP's budget is $1K. You can start another thread which does not hijack someone's else's.
Post removed 
9rw,

I'd say that frequency response is FOR ME much, much more than half the story, but your point is taken...to an extent. The idea that any single deviation from thoretically perfect neutrality in any ONE respect can be deemed equal to another deviation in a different respect is simply not true on the face of it. Deviation from flat on-axis frequency response versus power response versus bandwidth versus dynamic compresssion can't be quantified to measure relative importance.

To your 3 specific points: coherency in 1st order x-overs, large systems, and dynamics:

1) First order analog crossovers cause drivers to significantly overlap in their operating ranges, a condition which presents it's own issues. If phase perfect response is half the story and frequency response the other half, why aren't you using a room corrected, digitally crossed system? These speakers will typically deliver near perfect in-room frequency and phase response, and any event will blo away your system (and mine) on these parameters.

Note also that the crossovers in these devices will typically be designed for super HIGH order operation, specifically to avoid the problems associated with first order crossovers. I assume you don't go this way because FR and phase response together are NOT the whole story.

2 + 3) Properly designed large systems have greater capability? I don't entirely follow. Large cabinets often mean more bass capability, but that's no free lunch, either. More cabinet often means more cabinet coloration, impaired imaging, etc. If you mean 3 way systems are superior to 2 way systems (assuming extended bandwidth), that's a mixed bag, too. You may get more dynamic capability, but usually at the EXPENSE of the coherence of a 2 way system (additional x-over and driver).

Also, if you really want to maximize dynamics, your sub should be crossed in much, much higher than it is (and shouldn't be a REL). However, I'm gonna guess that you object to the integration issues of higher x-over frequency and chose REL for it's superior "speed" (group delay performance). I'd go the other way EVERY TIME, but that doesn't make me right, either.

Look, you like what you like because you have your priorities. That's cool. But don't confuse the "greater capability" of a large system with superior "sense of realism" in any given room. That is an overstatement.

Marty