which is your favorite inexpensive stereo system?

I friend of mine would like to buy a 1K (if less even better) two channel system for an small room. So I will appreciate your inputs on which systems (amplifier plus speakers) are your favorites. I just want to learn which system you can setup with those limitations and enjoy everyday.
Thank you for share your experience.

Rodrigo
rverdun
A little more than a grand. Used Linn Classik K then add a pair of used Linn Katan speakers. Small system, that can be added to, taken on trips, with a big sound stage.
Cambridge and PSB make a good combination. I highly recommend PSB speakers; for an inexpensive system, that is.
My office system is a Music Hall Trio, cd/tuner/pre/amp with pre outs, 2 channel video in/out and more.
A few questions for you. What kind of music does your friend listen to? Just CD's or also vinyl? Does he/she already have another system setup in a larger/different room? Does this person just want to enjoy some tunes, or are they a more discerning listener? Is there a computer in the small room?
Hi Headshrinker2,
my friend likes almost all kind of music and he just want to enjoy it at the end of the day. This will be the only system in the house and he has a computer and some vinyl (for which he already has a phono-pre).

Thank you to everybody for your input, it is very valuable for me... and my friend!!