Silverline Sonata III & McIntosh MC275?

I am planning to upgrade my speakers and I am just wondering if this combination works?

I currently have the Sonata I now and the C-220 / MC275 combo works quite well with them. Haven't seen much of the McIntosh & Silverline combos around. I heard that the Sonata III are totally different than the old Sonata I. What are the sonic-differences in between them two? I researched and researched and was so discouraged just because I haven't found any info with a system which consist the two, or even a person who tried this combo... Would like to get some advice before making the purchase. Thanks!
infinity_audio
Blindjim. Thanks for the email. I really appreciate your info as well as your prospective. The idea of posting a thread asking if someone around me has the speakers... really inspires me and I think I will be doing so. My listening space is very very tight. Sonata I right now yields a decent result, a bit thin in bass but the MC275 made up a bit to compensate it. A new problem now may arise which is that the speakers may cause booming. Honestly, I have absolutely no space for bass traps. However, a more opened top is definitely welcome for letting more details to come through. I know that I have to hear it for myself to know... but it is such a big operation to get it done. Buying them in without knowing the sound is such a gamble nowadays. Recession will make the task very tough if I want to sell the Sonata III after trying them without success. They are big too, in my case it will really become a headache if they are not the one...
Post removed 
Tvad
“……I've done nothing but offer my experiences with the Sonata III speakers using PP and OTL tube amps and solid state amps. I've not criticized anyone else's choices. We all hear differently and have different preferences. Why my balls are being broken here, I can't quite understand.”

Take a breath and relax.

I suppose not only do we hear things differently, sometimes we percieve things which aren’t really there.

Honestly, Tvad, I simply don’t get it. My line of thought was how seemingly much effort and energy you spent to acquire a certain product or result with the IIIs, yet were unable to accomplish it.

That mystifies me…. Given my own exp with them.

I sincerely could only account for it one of two ways…

the units you bought were deficient somehow initially,

or

you’re one tuff hombre to satisfy.

A third came to mind as maybe you were trying to get blood out of a turnip, but I dismissed that one as you usually know what’ is up with what audiowise, or seem to.

Consequently I merely asked questions to those ends.

Newbie summarized things well enough for me, though I’d not wish to allow you to feel usurped, minimized, beleaguered or walk around with broken balls. Neither of which was ever my intent towards you, or anyone else for that matter. Period.

I said that already. Didn’t I?

some of those amps you listed when used by others with completely different loudspeakers yielded similar results. Less than satisfactory bass output and extension. This info is according to some other folks I have personally spoken with so it came as little surprise to me you experienced similar results with the IIIs… using namely the VAC 160’s and the Atmasphere amps.

to your credit, your experience (s) leave a legacy for others whose efforts fall along the same lines. And might save another from such ‘less than’ results by avoiding the combos you tried personally. Maybe.

You know audio nuts… they’re lible to try most anything at some point.

Infinity

I’ve had mine as close as 26 or 27 inches from rear of unit to the wall behind them. Further out is better. As close as 20 inches off the side walls. Measuring from the more vertical portion of the cabinent… not the slanted upper regions. Alan suggested as little as 18 inches off side walls…. And 30 off their back sides. He said this is how he sets them up at shows most often… if I understood him correctly

I’ve found them similar to the Sophias in that the geography of the soundscape doesn’t lay behind them quite so much as with other speakers, and extends more so firly evenly behind and forward of them.

Electronics and cabling choices there will gain you some more geography rearward of the front baffles. Bringing them out into the room more will help as well. Recordings too play some part there too, just not as much.

Given you can not move further into your room aways from the rear wall, and space is a real consideration, for a good bit less, those SR 17 or latter models are reputed to be very, very, nice indeed.

My SR 15s are IMO pretty nice monitors. I could live with them without a lot of trouble, though a sub would be a for sure item to be added too… and better still would be two small subs… like a pair of SVS, HSU, or even VElodyne SPL 10’s,

Maybe monitors should be a thought… or more thought given to units which can rest quite close to the wall behind them with good results.

The IIIs twin rear ports do necessitate more space off the wall behind them as will many rear ported speakers… vs. no rear ports.
I have visited Silverline Audio at two CES shows. Each time, Alan has demonstrated his speakers using Pass Labs amplification. I imagine he endeavors to have his speakers sound their best at shows, and he uses the amplification that provides the sound he desires. What else need be said?
Tvad Quote:

Maybe Alan just likes Pass, gets a really good deal from Pass, or he could be friends with someone at Pass? He may like the way Pass sounds and can't be bothered much or does not have the time to try alot of different amps with the Sonato's? Unless you know for sure I would not make that assessment. Not trying to bust your balls but I do know sometimes speaker manufacturers get good deals or loaners from amp/preamp company's just to get their products out there and if the speaker company likes the way they sound then great.
Samzx12, FWIW, but do not conclude that I agree with your premise about Alans promotion of Pass Amps. When I went to his 'show room' which is VERY modest, to audition my speakers, listen to the III's, as well as some stacked mini's, the Pass Amps were not connected, but they were in the background and I did wonder why. He was using very modest but modded, inexpensive, Monarchy Amps, an old, but probably modded CDP, and I forget what pre-amp.

Perhaps he was just trying to demonstrate what his speakers could sound like on inexpensive components (thinking I was some sort of cheapskate), or was just not trying to max out his equipment because of the nature of his show room and would not want you to conclude that what you heard was the best that they can do. Perhaps.

I could certainly understand why he would NOT use this stuff at a show though. If he did I don't think anyone would give him the attention and credit his products deserve. Alan is a pretty clever person, I think, and wouldn't risk a sale for any reason he could avoid.

As I said, no speculation from here, just a factual recounting of my observations.