How Important is Getting Your Rack Out

of Between Your Speakers?
Is getting a long cheap interconnect the way to go, is that better than keeping the rack in the middle

Thanks
128x128abruce
I don't know if I agree. I used to have a setup that had amp stands on the floor and a CD player on a stand on the floor also leaving the middle completely open. I don't think I've ever achieved the kind of physically tangible depth that I got with that setup than with my current 2 racks between the stereo setup. It is a hell of a commitment to buy the long interconnect to see if it makes it better, but I'm thinking of doing just that.
I keep my rack in center, multiple racks sitting low so as to not affect imaging, soundstaging. Still, it would be best to not have anything in between. You will lose a lot more with a long cheap interconnect!
Interesting - I was just reading in Jim Smith's new publication "Get Better Sound" that having a rack between is more detrimental than added length in cabling, both because it provides reflective surfaces to disrupt the soundstage and because it provides visual distraction. I was thinking the same thing about low amplifier stands (which I currently use) - should be no problem. Not sure about the open full height stand, but it's certainly better than a cabinet.