Daedalus

All, there is some info here on some of Daedalus' larger models. Anybody have the DA-RMa monitor? I'm wondering if anyone has experience and any feedback on these.
Thanks
jimmy2615

"07-07-09: Sparkomatic
Lou,

Per your 6/22/09 post, I would like to hear your comments regarding the "... differences and value of the different models ..."

I tried to post this before but it didn't go up?

All four models in the line use the same drivers and basic components, of course each systems crossover is unique to it but even those are all of a similar design. I'll try to describe the basic differences in each model.

The DA-1.1 and DA-2.1 have a very wide sweet spot so they are well suited for HT use, but they also image more than well enough to be good two channel speakers. The DA-1.1 has a slightly warmer sound (the emphasis is on 'slightly'), than the others due to the balance of two 8" handing off to one 5" mid. This sound is a little closer to the 'Harbeth" sound. I think the DA-2.1 is a great choice for a home with sub(s) that will be doing video as well as two-channel.

The DA-RMa has better imaging and depth of stage and possibly a slightly better resolution in the midrange than the DA-1.1 &2.1, but the sweet spot is similar in size to most high end audio speakers unlike the 1.1&2.1 which have an almost room size sweet spot. The Ulysses is a bigger overall sound than the DA-RMa with more bass extension as well as a deeper slightly more detailed image. It just takes everything to the limit as a flagship system should.

So to answer the value question is difficult as that is very subjective. In terms of budget and application, I have customers with any of these who consider their choice to be a 'value'.

I hope this helps

thanks,
Lou
Daedalus_audio: I tried to post this before but it didn't go up?

And I was beginning to think you were dissing the questions I asked on 6/22 and 6/23. Can always soothe my feelings with a 2.1 ... -:)

Thank you for putting various models in perspective. I found that very informative.
My DA-RMa's are now a few months 'old' and I comfortable that they are completely broken in. As we all know, everyone's tastes are different and of course sound is so much room and associated equipment dependent. But I wanted to chime in one more time on my opinion/preference for these speakers.

Over the years I've owned a number of very good speakers in my opinion: Thiel 2.2's, Thiel 3.6's, Wilson Benesch Act Ones (I think I had one of the 1st pairs in the US), Sonus Faber Electa Amator II's, JM Lab Micro Utopia's....IMHO the DA-RMa's are easily the most enjoyable of any speaker I've owned. They give me the detail & dynamics of the Thiels, the resolution and coherence of the Wilson Benesch Act Ones, and the absolute non-fatiguing, enjoyable listening experience of the EA II's!! After 25 years in this hobby, this may the 1st purchase/upgrade that I've been completely satisfied that indeed its an upgrade and worth the investment.

Lou has a great product and is great to deal with. I urge anyone that has a chance to give his speakers a listen. I'd love to hear the Ulysses (but cost and room size make those babies a non-starter for me anyway).

No, I have no affiliation with Daedalus other than being a very happy customer. And I don't often post my evaluations of equipment, but given that I'm so pleased with this purchase, I wanted to sing some praises :)!
Rrsclyde--glad to hear you are enjoying the DA-RMa's. I've had my DA-1.1's for over a year now and the love affair continues. Lou--I was intrigued by your comparison of the different models since I did not get a chance to comparison shop within the line prior to purchase. Your remarks about the DA-1.1 being (ever so slightly) warmer than the other models is particularly noteworthy, as is your comparison to the "Harbeth" sound with which I am very familiar. What led me to the original DA-1 and now to the upgraded DA-1.1 was the likeness of your designs to my Harbeth Compact 7's across the midrange--an area where this speaker excels like no other. That you have managed to produce a full range floorstanding speaker that can compete with the Harbeth in this critical area but which is much more dynamic and capable of recreating a lifelike presentation of the recorded experience is why, I believe, your designs are receiving such unanimous critical acclaim. I am grateful to have found a speaker with which I can enjoy for a lifetime. Thanks again!
Rrsclyde and others, Thanks much!! After seventeen years at this I'm still touched by the generous appreciation my customers have for what I do. It really is the people that make it worthwhile!
Thanks,
Lou