Opinions Req. Ultimate Ears UE-11 Pro Ear Phones

I considering these in ear phones and was wondering how they stack up to the best conventional headphones such as the Grado RS-1, Senheiser HD650 or the HD800, AKH 701, etc..

I don't mind using a headphone amplifier, if that will help.

Thanks
clipsal
I have the UE triple Fi-10pro which is the non-custom verson of the 10 pro ( set up for the iPhone). I also own a pair of Sennhizer 650s and Grado/Alessandro MS-2i. I only use UE at they gym and on the go but I have a Headamp gilmore light headphone amp.

They are all around pretty good. They are VERY dynamic ( lots of punch). The highs seem pretty balanced tonally but have a few peaks. The base is very clean and tight ( compatible to 650s). But there is a bit too much bass. The mids/ vocal are also very clean but they are a little scooped out. I end up turning them up a little to flesh out the vocals.

They do not sound like Grados but few things do. They are closer to the 650s than Grados and bring about 90% of what the 650s bring. I find the 650s are more refined on all levels than the UE tripe Fi-10 pro. But the EUs are more refined than most Grados.

The highs on the UE are pretty detailed but lack sound stage which takes a little bit of the life out of them. I find their highs best of the IEM though. All and all they are pretty balaned with no major falts.

They do improve with a good amp and scale well. If you use an iPod touch or iPhone you will not "need" an amp but iPods (classics) sound bad. Y If you are buying for home use get a full sized headphone but the EU are truly high-fi on the go.
Hi Clipsal,

I have no experience with the UE products, but I run the Shure 530s while traveling, and feel no need whatsoever to upgrade.

You could try these first for a lot less money

I run the 650's at home