Best Bookshelf/Monitors Speakers? Suggestions

I am new to hifi, and looking for a pair for pair of bookshelf/monitor speakers, preferrably under 2k, to pair with a Mcintosh ma6450 100wpc. I was originally looking at the B&W CM1, but they are very inefficient(84db), so i was thinking about the CM5, or even the 805S ( both 88db). I feel like I am paying a lot for the name with B&W though, and may be missing out on more lesser known speakers.

I am not necessarily looking for the most accurate speaker, but rather a speaker that is dynamic and creates and wide and deep soundstage. bass extension is also important to me.

I have read about the proac tablette 8 sigs, reference 3a decapo, but im not sure if the de capos are a good choice with my ss amp, and if the tablette 8 sigs will have enough bass.

Obviously I would prefer to audition them, but if i can get a highly recommended pair of used speakers such as the decapo that would normally cost much more new, for the same price as a new pair cm5 (1500) i feel like id be better off. what do you think? Thanks for your help.

Extra infor that may be important:
I live in a high-rise so would like to avoid using a sub.
My Room is approx. 16x17.
Couch (main listening position) is about 8-10 feet from where the speakers will be.
Speakers will be about 7 feet apart.
Probably about 1 foot from the wall behind them.
farjamed
Farjamed,
- Highly recommend the Usher 718 Tiny Dancer first before buying.Unfortunately, they didn't work out for me.

- You gotta give the Totem a listen at www.KCaudio.com

- I've got your front ends and your room size but gonna ask the type of music you are listening to.

- About adding a sub into 2-ch, not alot of people want it in their 2-ch system. Me neither, it was not on my system as well. But recently, just for trying it out, I have it lightly turned on very soft and low adding some bass to my speakers; I'm loving it. There's no law of physics say that you can't do it. I was in the same boat and I didn't like the theory but I chose to give it a try and I like it since. My front speakers produce very limited bass so....
If you can hear every notes of the bass guitar coming out between your 2 front speakers, you have your sub well tuned. Waiting for your feedback. Keep us update. Good luck.
The reason I asked about the floorstand speakers is I have been using a small room for my primary listening space for a long time. Many monitors have come and gone, some good ones too, and I always seem to go back to floorstand speakers.
Totem Hawks or Forests are exceptional speakers for their small size. I currently own Thiel CS-1.6s and Meadowlark Audio Kestrels, both of which take up less floor space than my stands. The Kestrel's in particular seem to be made for small rooms. Just my 2 cents.
Farjamed,

My system is pretty modest (click on "system" after my name and you can see what I got) but currently I'm running a pair of Madisound AR.com speakers. Not bad sounding speakers, although at some point I would like to upgrade to something better (and not just different).

As for my suggestions on the curtains, I find that sound reflecting off a hard surface (such as glass) creates more a problem that sound being diffused/absorbed by a softer surface. In may condo, I have a sliding class door that leads out onto a balcony directly accross from my speakers. I've found that having a lined curtain across that door, I can better control the sound in the room, simply by how much I open or close the curtain.
As to your question concerning the Gallo 3/3,1,they can be driven using 25-40W.However,buy them used as I understand they need to be driven hard to break-in the woofers.
Listen to a pair of Linn Katans. They sound great even before you upgrade them to active. I could not beleive how good a small set of speakers can sound, and I've only liked big big speakers until I heard them. You can also bi wire & bi amp them if you wish.