Speakers for difficult placement.

I am looking for a pair of new speakers. My biggest problem, though, is placement options. They cannot be placed more than 15 inches from the back wall and the separation distance is around 9-10 feet. My listening chair is also about 10 feet from each speaker. there is a door than opens into the right speaker so I would need something with a small footprint. So basically I need a speaker that sounds good separated (good center fill) and can set close to a wall without giving away too much in depth of field. My electronics are Sunfire and I have more than enough power. I also will be using the speakers with a Vandersteen 2Wq sub. I would love Vandersteen speakers but they are configured wrong anatomically (need smaller footprint). I have recently read some reviews of the PSB Synchrony's and was wondering if these might fit my bill. Any thoughts anyone?
donwass65
Get a pair of Great Plains Audio 604-8H-II (or III) coaxials or a pair of Iconic 704-8A (same speaker) and build a pair of Mass Loaded Transmission Line cabinets for them; add the Jeff Markwart crossovers. All plans are available free for personal use. You can put them in the corners or right up against the wall and in fact they sound best that way. Footprint is not small, though: roughly 26 W x 20 D inches (depending on the thickness of the cabinet walls. Or you can buy the same design new from Serious Stereo. And you won't really need a sub, except perhaps for home theatre purposes.

For a smaller footprint in a speaker that also is designed to sound best against the wall or in corners, try the Audio Note AN series, available in kit form or ready made, in a huge range of prices.

Hope this helps.
Dollar for dollar, you won't get better than Vandersteens. I would call Richard or your local Vandy dealer and discuss the issue. I don't think it is as much of a problem as you think it is. The dealer may very well let you bring home a pair for audition
Audio Note speakers sound great in the corners but do not need subwoofer in most cases
I've auditioned Vandersteen speakers and loved their transparent warm sound.
The problem is the side door opens towards my speakers and the Vandy's are too wide. If they only made them thin and deep it would be perfect. The Quatros are configured like this but I just can't afford to spend 8 grand. I almost thought about a used pair of Thiel 1.6's or the PSB synchrony 1's or 2's.