2-way speaker with best bass

I know all the arguments about how crossovers can screw up loudspeakers, and hence the many inherent advantages of 2-ways over multi-driver designs. But there comes a point where the laws of physics can only be bent so far...

So... what IYO is the 2-way speaker that most successfully plumbs the depths, that provides the best full, but "tight and tuneful", bass, with good pitch definition, without completely messing up the higher registers?

For the moment, let's not worry about how this achievement might affect impedance and sensitivity.
128x128twoleftears
Shadorne you didn't mention the transmission line cabinet. Helps to get optimum bass from a small woofer. My Meadowlark Shearwater Hot Rods--a TL design--have great bass for a two-way.
The original poster made no claims that they wanted the best bass regardless of type of system. only that he wanted suggestions for 2 ways that had decent bass.

My recommendation is the zaph audio L18 design. I have built two of them, and both times the bass has amazed me. One of the best sounding two way stand mounts I have heard. A very fun speaker. You can view the design at zaphaudio dot com. On the front page, look for the L18 design.
The other issue with bass (and yes room size and volume levels matter a great deal)is the issue of quality versus quantity. The Merlin VSM has no output below 28HZ, but is +/- 2db 33Hz to 22KHz - trust me that is a lot of bass extension for a two-way. It will not succeed at pushing a lot of air like a 15" woofer, but that would be a pretty lousy way to build a two-way. The VSM will give a lot of realistic, tuneful, and articulate bass like no 2-way I have ever heard. While I love the VSM, I would not go around touting it as a real "full-range" speaker in the ultimate sense, but when you combine its balanced performance and incredible coherency (that you rarely get a 3-way+ approach)I think it is one of the 2-way speakers that should be on anyone's list and for the most part you will be satsified with its bass output. Unfortunately, its list price is proabably going up in price to the $14K range, which may seem like a lot for a smallish two-way, but close your eyes, it is worth every penny.
Check out the Klipsch Epic CF4 for sale on this site. A 2 way speaker but with 2 12" drivers. 102dB efficient, slamming bass.
Twoleftears, I take you are looking for a refined, highly resolved system in addition to bass? That is a speaker that would also qualify as a "best in class" type speaker for overall performance. I also assume your question is regradless of cost to some extent.