Best all around speakers

Just curious what people think around here for best all around speakers for wide variety of musical genres and amplifications needs (tubes and solid state). Not everybody listen exclusively to Diana Krall and Norah Jones and/or acoustical jazz or classical music. Some of us like to listen to a wide variety of music (from rock and roll to bluegrass to blues to you name it) and don't feel the need or want to have a differet speaker for each genre of music. Seems to me many speaker designers have a very narrow taste in music, which unfortunately doesn't reflect what most people listen to, which I think is one of the reasons why many speakers end up disappointing quite a number of listeners.
cleaneduphippy
I'm coming to a tentative conclusion that you might have to have some variable in the system in order to happily listen to electric music one moment and a string quartet then next. But I don't think it has to be speakers. I've been pretty happy with Harbeth speakers for the last year or so, used with a subwoofer. (I'm using the Compact 7's with an Essex sub now, but I also like the Monitor 30's.) The variable for me comes from using 2 different CD players and a turntable. One CD player is a bit more forward with more punch (a GNSC-modded Wadia 860), the other is bit laid back and does SACD (EMM CDSA) and the turntable/cartridge is on the somewhat lush side (Linn LP12 with Koestu Black and EAR 834P). Between those different sources, I can usually find something that works.
ATC are very precise and therefore play a wide variety of genres. They are pro studio grade and likely your favorite artists were mixed down on them. Check out the latest review on stereomojo.com on their home page.