dynamic range -the good and bad?

so dynamic range in a given recording is limited by many factors,correct? And I have read many many threads that make dynamic range sound very ideal, correct? ok, that said, I thought I had a decent surround sys setup, marantz reciever and enegry take speakers. Assumed I had good dynamic range, and maybe I do. But I just set up my new 2 channel (extremly modest) system. Threw is some classical and now I notice something I havent before. The soft passages are queit so i turn it up and the louder passages are to loud!!! Is this normal? Guess it could be my room, the cd, or equipment but is this a common problem?
glowplug
Listened to a few choice parts of my 90's vintage standard issue Kind of Blue CD today.

Significant hiss in the background and a few spotty rough edges that sounded somewhat scratchy from time to time, but overall sounds very full bodied, textured and lifelike.

I think you just have to live with the hiss and rough edges on this one. Its noticeable but does not interfere with the overall performance and impact. Kind of adds some natural atmosphere that reminds you that this was recorded almost 50 years ago now, so its practically an antique. What a classic piece though!
Remember- a lot of different factors go into a classical recording. First, each conductor is going to have a different vision as to how the piece should sound. I have heard Beethoven's 9th some 15 times live. Sometimes there simply is a difference in the dynamic range of the live performance because that is fitting with that conductor's view. Classical music is somewhat different in that respect than, say, rock and roll. I have the Stones doing Sympathy for the Devil, but I would not think of trying to find any other group doing that tune. Yet, I have many different versions of most classical pieces that I own. Another factor is the acoustics of the hall. For many years I attended concerts at a hall known for its acoustics, built in the 1800's. Music sounded different in that hall than other ones I have been in. The live experience of classical music is quite different from the recorded version - I think Von Karajan's thoughts on the matter are interesting -his focus was on studio versions - the live performances were something that he had to do in his position as lifetime direktor of the Berlin Phil. but his focus was on perfecting the studio recording - he put it as people come to the opera or the orchesteral performance for social reasons as much or more than the music, and often to find the mistakes, weaknesses etc of a performance. People at home are not looking for the perfect music. One great thing about the live recording though, is listen to Furtwangler conducting Beethoven in 1942 (mono - sound is awful but performances are incredible) and you hear people coughing etc. Kind of eerie when you stop to think who those people in the front row were.
Someone in a recent AA post referred to this problem as "gain chasing". He contended that the better the system, the less it compels one to "gain chase" with very broad dynamic range recordings. Interesting concept.