Opinions on MBL 121's

Just had my first audition of these awesome speakers, but want to know audiogoner's experiences long term. Any problems or issues? What is the best suited amplification and cabling?

Thanks for any input.

Bruce
Ag insider logo xs@2xconservi
Conservi,

Your room sounds like a good space for MBLs of any stripe.

If you're going to pass on the sub, I would only note that the 121 is very expensive for a speaker with that low-end rolloff point. That seems like it may not be very important to you, though.

Funny thing is that I heard the MBL line in the same LA demo room as Outlier and can see why he loved 'em and why Stringreen hated 'em. A crushing loud electric guitar solo sounded as 3D, reach out and touch it, in the room real as I've ever heard from a stereo. OTOH, mid-bass was considerably overblown to my ear. The classic 2 sides of the coin.

Marty
Thanks for all your comments; they are helpfull in arriving at the next stage of my addiction. I am considering an MBL intergrated amp 7006 or 7008 since there are some deals to be had and they maybe more capable of handling the current needs of the 121's.

Jeff, the real listen area is only 24'x14' which I feel the 121's should fill sufficiently with the ambient sound adequate for the remaining area.

Happy listening

Bruce
24x14' - then 121 should do but do watch out for later desire to upgrade to full tower.

I know many 121 owner eventually do that and taking a small lose to sell their 121. There are 3 pairs of 121 show up in my city recently because of this reasons.

Jeff