Opinions on MBL 121's

Just had my first audition of these awesome speakers, but want to know audiogoner's experiences long term. Any problems or issues? What is the best suited amplification and cabling?

Thanks for any input.

Bruce
Ag insider logo xs@2xconservi

Showing 3 responses by conservi

Steuspeed:

Thanks for your input. I heard the 121's powered with 70 tube watts which seemed to do the trick in a fairly good size room. My room is large opening into even a larger space in a post and beam home. I guess for me the extensive detail and soundstage coupled with the lack of a centralized sweet spot sold me on these speakers.

Stringreen:

Thanks for your responce. I also heard the 116's and for me the 121's sounded less heavy and more open. Even at between 12,000 to more then 15,000 list without their MBL stands, they are not cheap.

Marty:

Thanks for your responce. I am not a huge bass lover although it is certainly nice to have it when the passage calls for it without becomming muddy. I can not afford a sub at this time a my current sub is not of suitable quality to even consider, but I can see the advantages in the future. I believe the tube amp I auditioned the sspeakers with enhanced the quality of this speaker making it more alive whereas the MBL amp seemed sterile.

I think my room with it cathederal ceilings and the space opening up to 40' x 24' would be an OK fit.
Hi Outlier:

Just to let you know, I heard the 121's on a moded Jolida 801 intergrated, but my choice will be the Jolida JD 1000 RC for that extra power and the EL 34 tubes which should enhance the detail and soundstage even more. I am just trying to figure out how to pay for it while I am salivating at the idea of listen to Pink Floyd and when that gets old a little Diana Krall or Miles.

Bruce
Thanks for all your comments; they are helpfull in arriving at the next stage of my addiction. I am considering an MBL intergrated amp 7006 or 7008 since there are some deals to be had and they maybe more capable of handling the current needs of the 121's.

Jeff, the real listen area is only 24'x14' which I feel the 121's should fill sufficiently with the ambient sound adequate for the remaining area.

Happy listening

Bruce