Is two Subs better than One?

What is the general consensus? And why?
hamburg
I would think that two subs are better then one, but my question is: are two medium sized subs like rel stadium
better then one larger stentor (for the last octave)?sorry if am am repeating my self.
Post removed 
Bob Reynolds, great paper just what I was looking for. The paper seamed to say that a fixed position 2 channel System does not have a problem like the multi channel multi seat position environment. Therefore, is it safe to say that one sub in the corner is as good as one in the center wall? Which position is better?
Or is two opposing center wall Subs still much much better?
my undestanding is that two subs in the opposite corner as as good as two opposite center. Not a word referring to the issue: one large sub vs two smaller once.
Baam, one v. two depends on the high-freq at which one plans to roll off the sub(s). Once that decision has been made, the size of the unit(s) regardless of whether using one or two, really depends on what SPL (sound pressure level, in Decibels) one needs to reach in a given setup/room. And THAT decision will be determined by the type of music on listens to, and whether HT will be a part of the system or not.