Looking for the "better sub"

I have Magnepan 1.6/QRs and would like a sub sometime soon to fill in the low end.
Subs suggested to me have been as follows...

Vandersteen 2wQ....problem with this sub for me is most agree I need two from the start for my 25X15 room.
JL Fathom 113....I would have ordered one, but no high level inputs turns a great sub into a home theater product in my eyes. They blew it.
Martin Logan Depth....still a frontrunner. Quick and musical. And one works well enough to get started.
REL....Still looking into these.

So I guess I'm looking at a budget of about 2K...a bit more or less. Anything else I should be looking into beyond the above? Please comment if you've heard the models above, which (except for the Fathom) are well known for working nicely with Magnepan panels.

Thanks!

R
robbob
Robbob said:

>> "JL Fathom 113....I would have ordered one, but no high level inputs turns a great sub into a home theater product in my eyes. They blew it." <<

Really?....I don't understand how you have come to that conclusion about subwoofers?

I always thought of home theater subwoofers, as being of the type that have a non-linear freq response...one with bass output in favor of, a little extra boom and bang, for those movie types that don't know any better?.

Any subwoofer, with an linear output, within it's designed freq range, would be equally at home with music or movies...as long as it could reach the desired SPL's, and do so with a low degree of distortion.

I'm sure, I'm right...unless you want to send this on to the "Myth busters" ....for final proof.

Dave
I am not sure that something linear is a good thing with panels. You may struggle with different SPL levels ....a match here but then a mis-match there. A small sub might be the optimal fit- something with limited excursion/small woofer and which compresses at modest volumes - like the REL's for example. They would probably be the best fit.
Used Alon Thunderbolt.

http://iar-80.com/page60.html
Scroll down to review.
Shadorne..."I am not sure that something linear is a good thing with panels".....you kidding right?

BTW...I have panels, and a pair of very large subwoofers. I also have a pair of smaller subwoofers...I'll place my bet on larger any day.

Dave