Room Treatments and WAF? Long

Living area with H/T and 2 channel combined. This is our main room for everything. It is 22'6" W by 16'9" with the h/t on the long wall. Wall to the right is only 3'6" tall and joins to the kitchen. Left wall is the fireplace(never used). Rear wall is a big problem. Two large windows (roughly 3'w x 5't) with a french door between them. Cathedral ceiling, carpetted floors with a large sectional couch positioned 12'from the front wall.

I know that the room needs treatment. Particularly the first reflection points but wondering if I can treat just the left wall since the right is so short and open to another room.

The biggest problem I think is the rear. All that glass! Significant other does not want curtains but could probably be persuaded if I could come up with something that would allow her to have the open look when she wants it. Any suggestions?
Thanks for any suggestions.
Steve
scoly1
Steve, I have a rectangular set up with the system at the end of the room. One whole side of the room is windows (bad). I ended up purtaining nice curtains in that remain open nearly all of the time and do not impact the benefits of the windows (actually add to them) and when listening seriously, I just close the curtains. Both wife and I are happy with this, except the fact that I usually forget to open the curtains back up when I am done listening.

Get some curtains that open and close at the push of a button and she will be much happier.

For the short wall? Put some plants (real or fake) as this will give you a helpful breaking up of the reflections and still be aesthetically appealing.
Needing to treat first reflection points is a myth. I'm not sure the rear is as much of a problem as you think. Unless the glass rattles it probably doesn't reflect much if any more than any other type of wall. For something effective try these.

Eighth Nerve

Steve,

I don't get it - why would you treat first reflection points on a long wall that is 23 feet?

I agree that the rear wall is a problem. However - it depedns onyour listening position....where is this?

Suggestions

1) adjustable wooden slatted blinds over the windows - these can look very nice and will act as diffusers and absorbers....of course they are extremely expensive but at least they are nicer than curtains - it wil also allow you to darken the room for watching sports during the day on a big screen.

2) Put your screen & mains where the fireplace is...flat screens are small and I have seen some designs where a screen is hidden in a cabinet or where a projection screen coes down from the ceiling.

3) You can turn the fireplace into a good RPG skyline absorber - this is what I have done - see my system - of course this is only of maximum benefit if the fireplace is behind the listening position...rear wall reflections from behind the listener being the worst problem in most home setups.