Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Today's Discovery:

THE MONTEREY QUARTET -- Live at the 2007 Monterey Jazz Festival

with / Dave Holland (bass), Gonzalo Rubalcaba (piano), Chris Potter (tenor sax), Eric Harland (drums)

This is the natural progression of BeBop. They call it Modern Jazz. No matter what it's called, this is an excellent example of great Jazz. The Frogman and O-10 should just love this. They being so progressive. :)

I was amazed. I have had this CD for over three years, and have just now got around to really listening to it. It blew my mind. Fantastic!!

Each player contributed two tunes to the program. Rubalcaba's '50' was my favorite, but they are all great.

They sound so different from most groups. They all play at the same time. It's like all four players solo at the same time, but it's all so cohesive. These are really good players. Great writing.

Holland's bass playing is just awesome. And the sax player! Where has this guy been hiding all my life! The drummer? Another new to me, player. Amazing! We all know about Rubalcaba, just his usual brilliant self.

If you call yourself a Jazz lover, you have to have this! So, if you ain't got it, git it!

The sad thing is, they just came together for this one gig. We won't hear them together again. Another reason to get it. If nothing else, try to youtube '50'.

Cheers
****And the sax player! Where has this guy been hiding all my life!****

Rok, you need to get out more often :-)

Frogman, now that you and Rok done shot my best album down, I'm waiting for yours. Not that I'm looking to shoot it down, but add it to my collection.

While that LP doesn't sound so hot now, it was "Somthin Else" when it came out.

Enjoy the music.