Vandersteen 5a vs. B&W 802D vs. Maggie 3.6 vs.?

I've had this addiction for over thirty years and am ready to purchase my "last" set of speakers. I currently have Vandersteen 3A sig's. with v2q (pair) driven my Mac c2200 and mc402. I'm looking for the best MUSICAL speaker I can find. I've owned a ton of stuff over thte years and know that I want to stay away from anything bright or even remotely tilted in the high end. I listen to mostly rock although I don't like to listen at terribly loud levels.

I know my choices seem diverse in cost as the 3.6's are signifigantly lower but I would retain the Vandersteen subs with these.

I'm looking for advise from fellow A'goners as I believe I can trust your opinions far better than any dealer. I have heard from way too many dealers a promise of musicality only too find a product that may be rated highly but sounds like sand paper to my ears.......Thiel 3.6's!

Unfortunatley, the only high end dealer near me sells only B&W. I must travel three to four hours to find any other brand.

I'd love to hear others thoughts and input and I thank you one and all in advance!

Tim
128x128timball
If you did like your Vandersteen 3A Sig...........
You gone LOVE 5A or Quatro.
(you know the sound.......already, so no risk there + huge improvements over 3A ....you will love it !!!)

Maggies...DO NOT ROCK !!!
B&W......?????? not my cup of tea.
I 2nd Wilson Sophia II suggestione. Heard'em - like'em.

cheers
i had maggie 3.3 r's and given enough power they rock fine add two subs and the 3.6's will rock great plus you wont regret your choice. Maggies are a speaker you can live with for a long time!
If you have the room, I would add the Quad 2905's to the list, especially if you do not listen at ear splitting levels.
I'm with Jaybo, stick to Vandy - to me you appear to have already become atuned to them given that Thiel's sound like sandpaper...
The Maggies don't do rock. The B&Ws need some juice to make them sound best. The 5a's sound about right. However, given your requirements, you may want to also check out a pair of Green Mountain Audio Calypsos.

You're gonna have to work to beat what you've already got.