Are modern speakers better than old speakers?

I have a pair of Moraunt Short Signifer speakers, which was their flagship in 1980. Have speakers improved dramtically since then? I would like to know what price bracket one would be in now to outperform these. I like their sound, wonderfull 12inch drivers and a paper mid without surrounds (no rubber/etc) plus a nice ferrofluid filled tweeter, which was relatively new technology at the time I believe. Also I would like to know if it is recommendable to upgrade the crossovers and cabling. Also perhaps bypassing the high frequency level adjustment. Please let me know your thoughts on this.
jaapjess
Shiprepair, hopefully my comment on B&W will stay within the context of the OP. One audio buddy owned the original 801, then the Series III for a number of years. A few years ago he replaced those with the then-current 802N. As an outsider and therefore more objective listener, I found the 802N a great improvement over the older 801. It is much better balanced top to bottom, offers more detail without harshness or edge, and images better.

He recently considered the 802D but did not find enough improvement to justify the $12K price.

Regarding the original question, I'd say the answer is yes and no. Certainly several models of individual speakers have improved over the years. But are all new speakers today better than their inflation-adjusted price competitors from 20 years ago? I don't think so. Many older models can offer satisfying listening if appropriately restored (foam surrounds replaced, old crossover caps upgraded, etc.).
to op, what do you mean dramatically? take your spkrs to a hi end dealer and do some a/b comps. you will have the definitive answer to the only judge that matters! every hi end dealer i've visted has welcomed customers to make comps with there vintage gear. as they too enjoy the hobby.
I don't know anything about your particular speakers but have learned several things over the last 5 years. I used to use my dads speakers and pioneer amp made back in the late 60's. While they didn't have today’s technology they were extremely well built in Japan. The build quality compensated for a lot and with new speaker grills they would look great even today. One of the biggest mistakes I made was allowing my parents to dispose of them when I went off to college, a few years back. I have since bought new speakers, have surround sound but have had to spend several thousand just to reach what I remember to be comparable system. While the old system lacked a faithfulness to the recording they where very listenable and sonically balanced. So I would if I where you keep the old speakers and considering buying an entirely new seperate system.
Must admit I simply cannot part with my Avalon Ascent MK-II speakers,which I bought well over a decade ago.I set up my dedicated room around them,and later added a Rel Stentor sub,to reinforce the extreme bottom,since they are eight feet into room.The speakers are fanatically maintained,and though I am a BIG fan of much new stuff,and have heard a load of new speakers,with todays improved electronics(especially front ends,and the newer line regenerators)these speakers leave nothing wanting!My previous speakers were the Infinity RS-1 and Betas. To me,these classic Avalons look like a text book case of the perfect three way design,that holds up over time.BIG TIME!Regardless of driver topologys and marketing hype!Cabinetry... 175 lb each channel,main speaker,and two 55lb each seperate crossovers.Stunning cabinetry veneers(sealed box design)and a true hand built look.It took two weeks to build one pair,and four cabinet makers at work.One of the four makers,who signed my hard bound manual,is now the manager of all cabinetry for Avalon.He must have been pretty good at his job!
The speakers were designed and built by the talented Charles Hanson,now of Ayre.
Sorry if this comes off as an ego piece,but there "are" times when we luck out.My Ascent purchase was one,for me!
With the numerous upgrades I have gone through,these speakers "constantly" reveal the most minute detail.I TRULY don't think I could have voiced my analog front end without them.
At the risk of seeming like I am getting a bit carried away,my friend has just gotten the wonderful Magico Minis.I LOVE them,but I'd not trade my Ascents for them.Hand to heart,and yes,they are that good. BTW,we both have the exact electronics and front ends.
Keep an eye out on the used market,as these do appear about once a year!!
Sometimes good craftsmanship holds up!
Best to all,and sorry for my rant.
Sirspeedy, no need to apologize for your enthusiasm for your Avalons. I feel the same way about my Duntech Princess. Good design and build does hold up over time. I think I would need to spend around $20K in today's market for a replacement and even then it could end up being a sideways move.