Are modern speakers better than old speakers?

I have a pair of Moraunt Short Signifer speakers, which was their flagship in 1980. Have speakers improved dramtically since then? I would like to know what price bracket one would be in now to outperform these. I like their sound, wonderfull 12inch drivers and a paper mid without surrounds (no rubber/etc) plus a nice ferrofluid filled tweeter, which was relatively new technology at the time I believe. Also I would like to know if it is recommendable to upgrade the crossovers and cabling. Also perhaps bypassing the high frequency level adjustment. Please let me know your thoughts on this.
jaapjess
A very good question, I am in the same predicament, wondering if I should replace my 1980 B&W 801 with the 802D as technology has advanced so far, especially with the diamond coatings on the 802 tweeters. The 801 still sound terrific but I have had them for 27 years and wonder if it is just being used to them. To compare properly should entail a home audition which I'm not so sure will be possible.

I'm wondering if the improvement would be worth the price of the new speakers or just purely incremental?

Great thread.
I think you should divide two types of speakers: the dipoles (electrostatics, full range ribbons and magnetostats) and the cone (moving coil) speakers. The full range Apogee ribbons are no longer being made (for almost 20 years) but they are still very good and still competitive with most of the planars today (they are maybe even better!). Older Soundlabs sound still very good. Some say the older Magnepans (>20 years) like the original Tympanies are still the best Magnepans. The old JBL giant studio monitors (4350?) from the late 70's are very ugly but they still sound good and many audiophiles love them. Many of today's cone speakers are more detailed (hyperdetailed), are very revealing in the treble and therefore they could sound a bit "sterile". They are better technically, but I don't know if they are more "musical".
PS: The odd technology speakers like the omni's sounded odd during their prototype period but still sound odd to me in their most up to date iterations.

Chris
All you can do is listen for yourself. Don't worry about things like diamondd coated tweeters or synthetic cone materials or new active vs. passive crossovers, since only the sound matters. Go listen to a few speakers in the $5000 to $10000 price range and decide for yourself.

Dave
Transducers, crossover parts, software, testing gear cabinet materials, glues, wire all are better than in the past. I feel its the design thats lacking in many modern loudspeakers, manufacters pretty much give folks what they want, even if its crap... Think thin towers, little cubes,the bookshelf 2 way yawn, small subs with drivers that have massive excursions [like this can produce bass detail wont happen sure you get a deep drone but thats it folks just dont know what there missing] Tossin Bean countering,cost of shipping packing, max profit and WAF aproved design seem more important today. Thus the many same old, same old designs.Boring one reason why I started to DIY and later my own loudspeaker company.