single versus multiple driver?

I have for years been thinking over the idea of a single driver easy load speaker with low powered set amps. I would love to take the plunge but am a little weary about the performance and risk. I listen to mostly classical,opera,jazz,older pop recordings and the like. I am presently using a pair of sounddynamics three way 300ti speaker and driving them B&K M200 amps. also bass is supported with the use of a Rel StrataIII sub. I am asking the question have any gone to single and been very disapointed and gone back to multiple drivers? I mean it really seems like a no brainer single speaker with no crossover should account to better sound? Thank you all and happy holiday.
schipo
Hey Mijknarf ..rookie? Any man that can build his own speakers like that..is no rookie my friend!

SDs are just like any other speaker. They all have their flaws. You just choose what you can live with.

As far as bass shy and mid bass shy goes..not all single drivers are created equal. I listened to a friend's vintage klipsch a few weeks ago. My single drivers easily dug deeper and had better highs than this multi way speaker. In fact I couldn't find anything about the klipsch that actually bettered my SDs. Even the drum attack in RR music was missing by comparison.

If it were better in some ways, I would honestly say ...just not the case with this multi way. I'm sure his klipsch play much louder..that's about it.
Hi Gmood1,

I am curious, what driver do you use and what kind of enclosure is it in? I am amazed at the variety of successful ways single drivers are used -- bass reflex, front-loaded horn, back-loaded horn, transmission line, etc.
Musicfile,

I started with Omega's super 3xrs which is a small floorstander. I was a little dissapointed in the overall balance, which certainlty could be how they are placed in my room(close to front wall). They were surprisingly, a little too warm and rich for my tastes.

I did a little research, noticed some speakers that I admired with ribbon tweeters, and ordered a pair of fountek neo2.0s from madisound. From there is was a mater of experimenting with the proper cap value(.47uf for me) to achieve the right balance. This took about a month of experimentation. The fountek added that wonderful air and extension that balanced the xrs's slighty rich sound. It sits on top of the speaker and is not attached other than to be shimmed slighty to get the right level.

As stated above by others, a 4.5 incher is ideally suited to smaller rooms and lower volumes . This happen to be my priorities/situation fortunately and this combo is a superb low volume solution. I listen to a wide range of music from classical, jazz, world and alternative.
I don't know what number of drivers is best,but I can say that I had made it my business to hear the HUGE multi driver BIG Nola Exotica Grand system,driven by the ASR Emitter amps,not too long ago.In a dedicated,and very well set up room.SOTA room acoustucs,and equipment....Yet....in all honesty I had a headache after about thirty minutes.Yes,they were dynamic,and had all of the "audio" traits,but there was just something annoting about the sonic presentation.Just my opinion
Shortly before "that" listen I had heard the diminutive two way Kharma 3.2's driven by the FABULOUS Lamm 2.1 amps.I brought a bunch of my reference Lp's and CD's with me."The flutter of Angel wings"!!That is how it seemed to me,as the sound,though on a much smaller scale,just floated around me.I LOVED IT!!!
Best.