Recommend a forward speaker

Apologies in advance for cross posting this on AA as well, but figure there might be some different suggestions over here.

When I say forward, I mean the music is presented forward on the stage, NOT necessarily bright (but could lean that way).

I've got a pair of Verity Audio Parsifals, and they are not forward, and although I love their coherent and open sound, sometimes I feel like the stage is just too far back. I've done a lot to bring it forward: silver cables (Stereovox), Amperex 6922 in my amps, Canary ca 160 amps, Emm front end, still, the basic character of the speakers are still laid back. The soundstage at this point is probably about 3 to 4 feet behind the plane of the speakers. I prefer it at or slightly forward the plane of the speaker. That's what I get for buying without listening first. Although, honestly, it took some listening to finally put my hand on this. I was so taken aback by their beautiful, open sound, it was hard to understand their presentation fully.
128x128dennis_the_menace
Update... I heard both the Wilson Sophia and Audio Physic Avanti. I didn't feel either outperformed the Parsifal. The Wilson's were more forward, and detailed, and I liked that, but they were also very artificial, they had a very unnaturally truncated decay... every sound felt like it was being produced in a vacuum. The Audio Physics were much more natural, but the bass was too heavy for my taste, and the high-end was lacking air and transparency. That, and the Audio Physics didn't really sound that much more forward, though I wonder if how they presented the soundstage was mostly due to the electronics. Associated electronics were all top of the line Audio Research gear... which was nice, but I wasn't left really wanting to make a change. I've got more auditions setup... ATC, Usher, hopefully Piega, and if I can make it up to NJ, Duke's Jazz Modules.
(Wilson Sophia) they had a very unnaturally truncated decay

What were you listening to? Are you sure it was not the recording? Could it be the setup or room? I find this observation surprising on such respected speakers.

FWIW: It is impossible to truncate the signal. Over damped designs (such as infinite baffle) tend to sound light in the bass but very musical. Under damped designs (more common) have a "bass hump" but tend to oscillate or resonate like a bell long after the sound stops (these do not sound musical as they add their own timbre or "puddingy" sound to the music and have a poor transient response...you can spot these designs from the frequency plot - just look for a bass hump or bump prior to where bass roll off begins)

=> What I am trying to say is that a lack of a resonant decay is actually something to aspire to in a speaker as it means it is highly accurate. The only difficulty with these designs is in getting enough bass output to please people who are accustomed to prodigious bass.

This "clinical" sound may take getting a lot of getting used to as it not common in most modern speakers which tend to favor light weight cones with small magnets and under damped designs that have prodigious bass for a smallish box (great value for money with warm prodigious bass but lacking refinement).

Suggestion => Demo the Sheffield labs drum tracks disc if you get another opportunity to compare these speakers. The "resonant" designs will add their own coloration to the sound whilst the "damped" designs will not. Spend a bit more time auditioning the Sophias if you can - they may be more accurate than you think on a first impression! Another test is to try many different types of music and see which speaker gives you the greatest difference in bass sound => this speaker will be adding the least of its own coloration whilst the "one note bass" or resonant speaker will have a tendency to sound quite similar in the bass on most tracks.

If after a while/more experimentation you still find Wilson Sophia has an "artificial truncated decay" sound that simply does not suite your tastes - then save yourself some trouble and do not go to any lengths to audition ATC (a critically damped type design).

IMHO, you should check out Watt Puppys as they may be more in line with your tastes...a very good dynamic and forward sounding speaker with a lot more warmth in the bass than the Sophias.
I actually liked the bass on the Sophias, it wasn't exaggerated, unlike the Audio Physics which felt too large for the room. I also liked the presentation of the Sophias. But there was definitely something unreal about the decay. The Parsifals don't exaggerate the bass, have nice detail, but also have a much more natural decay. I told the dealer what I thought about the Sophias, and he told me that Wilson actually intentionally de-emphasizes the decay in their crossover. I'm hoping the ATC have a lighter, tighter bass like the Parsifal, but push the soundstage forward without making it sound artificial.

There was something not quite right about the Sophias, this was what I heard, maybe I'm not communicating it correctly.
While I am in no way as learned as the other responders here I would like to relate my experience with sound fields . It does mimic some of the respondants .

I used to use an all in one system . A Rotel 5 channel amp , Rotel pre/pro , NAD CDP and JMLab Electra 926 speakers . This system was set up in a 13' X 24' room with the speakers @ 1' from the side walls , @ 8' out into the room , 11' apart and toed in to the listening position 11' away .

Almost all of the music was presented with a soundstage that was high deep and wide . It seemed to exceed the rear wall and be outdoors ! I could easily pick out each performer , on the discs that were recorded well . Maybe an affect that would approximate the 10th row .

I had a couple of discs that would project some of the sound behind me ! Quite startling !
Another disc did the soundstage thing as usual high , deep and wide . Except for one song that put the singer right at my feet ! Very eye opening !

My point here is could the soundstage thing be dependant on the material itself more than the equipment and setup ?

Just a thought .
I told the dealer what I thought about the Sophias, and he told me that Wilson actually intentionally de-emphasizes the decay in their crossover.

I am not sure what the dealer means here. Any resonance will be controlled by the box volume, porting and woofer selection. Some speakers resonate due to the use of light weight rigid drivers (Ceramic for example) and these ring like a bell ( a sort of gloss or sheen to the music) at some non musical related frequencies that require taming with notch filters but are never completely absent (Audio Physics have ceramic mids in several designs)

Are you hearing something further up in the lower midrange crossover or upper midrange crossover that you don't like? I don't dispute your observations and only you can choose the correct speaker for your tastes. Crossovers are the main compromise in three ways. You may find active speakers sound more natural through the entire range, as there are no crossovers.