Recommend a forward speaker

Apologies in advance for cross posting this on AA as well, but figure there might be some different suggestions over here.

When I say forward, I mean the music is presented forward on the stage, NOT necessarily bright (but could lean that way).

I've got a pair of Verity Audio Parsifals, and they are not forward, and although I love their coherent and open sound, sometimes I feel like the stage is just too far back. I've done a lot to bring it forward: silver cables (Stereovox), Amperex 6922 in my amps, Canary ca 160 amps, Emm front end, still, the basic character of the speakers are still laid back. The soundstage at this point is probably about 3 to 4 feet behind the plane of the speakers. I prefer it at or slightly forward the plane of the speaker. That's what I get for buying without listening first. Although, honestly, it took some listening to finally put my hand on this. I was so taken aback by their beautiful, open sound, it was hard to understand their presentation fully.
128x128dennis_the_menace
thanks duke. appreciate the thoughts. you're right, how the music is miked makes a huge impact. it's just that the parsifals present everything with a recessed midrange.

i know folks recommended the wilsons. i hate how they look, and they're wicked pricey for an ugly box. not sure i could get over that.

i've tried tilting the parsifals up, and out some, and altho that helped some presenting the midrange in a more upfront manner, the soundstage collapsed.

i had a pair of martin logan aerius i a long time ago, and altho they had many flaws, the one thing they had that i loved was a nice forward presence region. i loved it and lived w/ those speakers for 5 years before trying something else, and have yet to find an upgrade that i've been able to live with since then. i dont want to go back, my room isn't right for them anymore, and i'm sure i couldn't live w/ their relatively mediocre integration of electrostat panel + dynamic driver, but it's strange that i've spent so much more and found myself not satisfied.

the flavor of a speaker is so key, and there really are distinct flavors out there. not right, not wrong, but the preferences can make or break a system.
I agree %100 with Mrtennis. Be careful what you wish for. No speaker is perfect and once you get used to the forgiving, sweet, natural sound of the Parsifals, you might find that you have more problems with the change you are looking for. Of course, just my opinion and they just may not be right for you. They are never going to be forward.

I have a pair of Parsifal Ovations and, while I know what you are talking about, they are such a relief from the various speakers that have passed through my system in the last few years. I can't tell you what to do, but I do believe that you can get great sound out of the Veritys. I recently changed my cables to all Crystal Cables Micros and they are a great match with the Parsifals. A couple of recent reviews on Positive Feedback Online included Parsifals and all Crystal Cables. They really opened up with the change, more detail and air, and actually, to my ears, seem to be playing louder. I believe that the problem you have can be fixed a lot easier than trying to go the other way. Cables, source, amps and placement.... Good luck.
Dennis_the_menace
Aerius i are very seductive.
I also had a hard time deciding on my next upgrade.
After 6years with ML I decided to get/try something else.
I choose Vandersteen Quatros but it is just me.
Give them a chance and decide if they are worthy upgrade.