Help with Preamp selection

Hello Everyone, I am building a new system and I am having a hard time with selecting a preamp to be paired with my Pass Labs XA-30.5 Class A amp. I am no audio engineer and to be honest I really don't know what to make of all the specifications. I have read where the Pass amp like low input gain from a pre-amp but other than that I am unsure what else to look for. I definitely want a pre-amp with balanced inputs and outputs so I can experience everything the balanced PASS labs has to offer. I am leaning towards solid state vs tubes only because their seems to be more balanced offerings and less maintenance.

My budget is $1000-$2000 for a used or new unit. Here are some of the choices I have been mulling over:
1. Wyred 4 Sound STP SE
2. Lower end Ayre Unit (This is $3500 new but have seen as low as $2K on used market
3. Parasound JC-2 (out of my range even used)
4. Cary Audio SL-100 (New)
5. Audio Research (So many units to choose from would be interested if they are in price range)
6. Jolida Fusion

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Lastly - any recommendations on budget speaker cable and interconnects? I am looking for well made but at a reasonable price. Budget for 10' speaker cables $200-$250 and XLR connectors $100-$150.

Thanks in advance for your responses.
Neil
nmiller1202
"02-06-15: Rlwainwright
"Last thought -- given the price level of your components you might be under spending on the cables and interconnects. Would be a shame to possibly compromise the performance of all your $$$ electronics with cheap wires."

And yet, Nelson Pass himself does not recommend expensive cabling. maybe he knows a thing or two that most audiophiles don't??"

Overall, I would definitely have to agree with that. Cables do make a difference, but there's a right way and a wrong way to go about it. If you set out to buy a cable at a certain price point, you'll most likely succeed. If you expect that cable to sound good in your system, flip a coin.
Thanks for your response ZD542. I think I read where the Wyred 4 Sound preamp would mostly stay in passive mode for lower level listening and go active if pushed. Would passive preamp be a good match with the Pass Amp? Would I be missing out on any dynamics of an active preamp or can you bypass the passive on the W4S?
Hi Soix - to answer your question I am building a 2nd system from scratch so no pre-amp before. The system I have been using for the last 6 years is a Yaqin 300B SET integrated amp with Shanling Tube CD-1000. Speakers are just Tannoy studio monitors I believe PB-8? So I do like my current system and will probably keep in my office but wanted to take the next step up the ladder and decided to do seperates instead of integrated.

I ultimately would like to end up with a PASS XP-10 or XP-20 but my thinking was to upgrade later after I have save more cash. So right now I would like to find something that could bridge the gap between now and later. Same with the cables. Start off with entry level and upgrade later.

I have been eying the X1 on here for sale but it would probably have some miles on it by now? What about 7-10 years old maybe?? Are these built to last a lifetime?
Thanks Oilmanmojo - I have been checking Reno Hi-Fi website every few days to see if one came up for sale. I should probably just call them and get on a waiting list. I definately would like the XP-10. I don't think I could go wrong with that pairing.