3 way vs. 2 way

I currently have Mirage M5si bi polar speakers, I believe these have two tweeters and two 6inch drivers. For my room size I want to go to a conventional speaker. I would also like to give a high end store in my area the business as the owner is a friend. He carries Totem and B&W. I notice may of the Totems have only a tweeter and a driver. Can I get as good sound out of smoething like that as compared to a speaker with 3 or 4 in the cabinet?
zar
The comment about playing LOUD is correct. To get a woofer to work up to a tweeter crossover frequency (2000 Hz or higher) its size must be small (6 or 7 inches). Such a driver is not capable of high volume bass.

Of course, when you use a subwoofer with your 2-way monitor what you have is a 3-way. Still, if the 2-way woofer were optimized for higher frequency (at the expense of lows) its crossover to the tweeter could be moved up to 3500 Hz or so. Such a woofer is a midrange driver.
Thanks, Duke. I always learn so much when you contribute to a thread. I also appreciate your forthrightness and the fact that you never push your products and that you use full disclosure. Your willingness to share your knowledge and experience is very helpful. I plan to try those maneuvers on my speakers. And when I am in the market for new speakers again, I would then be interested in what you sell and interested to hear more about the speakers you are designing. Thanks again.
John
Zar,
I can remember when the debate used to be "acoustic suspension" vs. bass reflex.

Dealer to the rescue....Audiokinesis forgot to tell you about the blindfold...using the same set of CDs to evaluate equipment so its apples to apples....Of course your ears should be the judge! I think we all get that...but its also fun to hear everyone's opinion on two way vs. three way...tubes vs. solid state...ying vs. yang...kimber vs. cardas...Thiels vs. Linn....there is no right or wrong answer....this is not a medical diagnosis...so lets keep it light. System synergy may be more important than comparing a speaker A/B in your dealer's showroom. How many times does a dealer make the comparison for you using amplification and a front end that cost $20K or more? When dealers begin to bring the speakers to your home and A/B them for you in your equipment, then you have something to hang your hat on.
"Let a hundred flowers blossom, let a hundred schools of thought contend." In a true forum, like Audiogon, the person who asks a question greatly benefits by having a broad range of opinions and thoughts to consider...and yes...the dealer has made some very good points. Don't stop breathing when you read a dealer's opinion, as everyone writing in does have experience and an opinion. When the dealer became the dealer, the sky didn't open and the angels didn't come down with a set of Golden Ears. A dealer's first bias is that selling you something is the basis of his livlihood...and beyond that...Guess what, even the dealers have a bias when it comes to sound...because we are all human after all. Also keep in mind that a dealer can only sell what he carries, so that may or may not be in tune with your own ear.
If you think more drivers equal better sound, try the Omega Super 3 XRS single-driver speakers, especially in your small listening room. They are amazing, especially with tube amplification. If these don't float your boat, stick with a 2-way because of the better driver integration. I have Opera and Spendor 2-ways and love them but the Omega Super 3 XRS's made a believer out of me when it comes to single driver speakers. I own a pair and they are keepers.