Do you ...Center Channel?

Hello,

To me it is difficult to set a center speaker in the living room. Underneath the TV would be too low. On top of the TV (LCD) would be unpractical because in may case the center channel would be fairly big and heavy.

I imagine that most of you, living in homes with a dedicated room, you have no issue. How about all the others like me, with limited space, would you have the center channel at all and go with a four speakers setup and set the preamp to 'No Center'? Or would you compromise in some other ways?
Thanks.

Regards,
baam23f
glad it's working for you...triode has it right. find some way to mount a center or even get a different speaker entirely. imo, the center channel is very important in anchoring dialogue during 5.1 movies, esp when off axis. what if you get guests that can't sit in position A or B? i also have seperate rigs but i swap out front speaker cables for dual use of mains R/L. the decrease in dec. in center will bother you down the road. center CAN be boxier sounding than mains but most dialogue is in center anyway and it is worth the tradeoff to me, esp when watching dialgue oriented films without big sound effects.
Does anyone know if the Outlaw Audio ICBM-1 can be used without the center channel in a 4.0 configuration for multichannel music?
Baam23f,

Huh? That is an analog device...forget it.

You need a DSP....this will allow you to precisely configure what you send to each speaker, including how you roll off each individual speaker and how you treat center information, subwoofer information and matrix process the surrounds...no way I would use an analog device for this purpose....forget it...the filtering and processing (none)is so limited on an anlog device!
Really? It is an analog device specifically because it can take multiple analog inputs and bass manage them. That's all! There is no matrixing or other processing included or needed.

Any DSP device to accomplish the same or more would require additional A/D/A conversions which would be redundant and compromising.

Now, if you can come up with a DSP-based bass management accessory that will handle CD, DVD, SACD and DVD-A sources, let us know.

Kal