$1500 bookshelf speakers with laid-back highs?

Hi all,

I currently have the Monitor Audio Gold GR series 5.1 system. I like a lot about it, but to me, the highs are a touch too bright. I am looking for something a little smoother, even if it means the highs are rolled off.

If anyone is familiar with the Sennheiser HD650 headphones, that is the sound I am looking for.

Thanks
Greg
gregbe
A used pair of Tyler Taylo's would be very hard to beat for that kind of money and what you are looking for - Ty has some used pairs, if he would replace the tweeters with the SEAS millenium used in the Linbrook for you I think you would find them fitting the bill and then some.
I second the Dynaudio Focus 140 Recommendation. A mint relatively new used pair can be had for around $1250 or a good deal new for a new pair for around $1,600.

Of course, you can't talk about your speakers without including the tonal bias of the Amp. If you are keeping the Amp, the Dyns will be great, still detailed yet very musical. Or keep the speakers and look at a Nu-Vista Amp if you have a slightly harsh amp like the Rotel. The Nu-Vista is very power and musical with slightly rolled off highs. If that is out of budget, consider a NAD or even a lower priced yet 2 channel Harmon Kardon which has a warm sound. If you already have a softer amp, then definately change your speakers.