Headphone Recommendations

Requesting input from all you headphone lovers out there. I have a friend whos looking to buy some good quality headphones. Around $250 new or used is his budget and would prefer to buy new. He needs a closed over the ear style, just cant stand buds. They will be used at work mostly listening through Media Slayer, therefore a very transparent top end wouldnt be needed. Headphones with good bass is what he would prefer, his music preferences reflect that. Lots of classic rock and alternative, Floyd, Tool, etc. He has no interest in an amp or DAC at this point(he wants to save his pennies for a two channel rig) so please keep that in mind with recommendations. Any suggestions or opinions would be appreciated. thanks in advance, Justin.
jlind325is
I am not familiar with Media Slayer. I will tell you that it takes a lot of "juice" to drive the Senn's. If you're talking about an output of 500-750 mVolt...forget about it! It will take about a 2 volt output [DAC] into a headphone amp to really appreciate the Senn's...otherwise, WAY too low volume.

Your friend might want to try a pair of Grado 125's, if he's going to go with a low voltage output. They'll play MUCH louder than the Senn's.
Yep...the HD600s are a great functional headset for
about the $200 or so mark. A little laid back, nice
balanced sound. Cant go wrong.
Sony 7506. Less transparent than the Senn's but plenty of bass and very rugged.
I personally like them more than the senns to work with and prefer the senns to relax...if you know what I mean.
I believe that Grados will spill sound out into the workplace. If that is an issue, I recommend Sennheiser HD-280 Pro. Closed-back, as opposed to Senn. 580/600/650 and Grados, and with amazing isolation both ways— no one else hears your music, you don't hear anything else. Sound great, under $100 new, and you don't need a headphone amp to drive them. I use them on my commuter train with a portable CD player; have pricier cans and dedicated headphone amp at home.

Also, much more info available at head-fi.com. Good luck.