What's the greatest bargain in SET these days?

Hi, Gang,
I response to my recent review of the Reference 3A De Capo BE speaker, someone wrote that if you really want to hear them sing, you should try them with a SET amp, or words to that effect.
That got me thinking. The De Capo's are 92 db efficient, which (correct me if I'm wrong) seems kind of borderline for low-power SET amps.
In any event, right now I'm running mine with a pair of Manley Mahi mono-blocks. They are switchable from triode (20 watts) to "ultra linear" (40 watts). I run them in triode all the time, and in my room, the volume knob almost never goes past 9 o'clock; more would just be too loud.
All that said, what do you guys think of running the De Capo's with a SET amp? And if I did, what's the best bargain in SET's these days?
Thanks!
rebbi
Mikirob,
The better the audio components, the more you emphasize music listening vs check Iist of sonic boxes to mark. Yes you do notice them but they are overshadowed by the music involvement factor. The Armstrong-Ellington recording hasn't changed, your better amplifier is just able to convey more of the musical signal intact. Your excellent results aren't a surprise.
Charles,
Charles, yes, I know, so true. The Cary V12 is a nice amp, as is the Primaluna Dialogue One. Yet there is just something very special about Mr. Blume's design and implementation that has grabbed me. It doesn't matter what genre of music you throw at the Dynamo, it plays it with aplomb. For days now I have given it large complex classical, smaller less complex classical, chamber, chants, ancient music, modern music, all types on Rock, Jazz, small combo' stuff, big band, female vocal, male vocal, electronic and accoustic, live...it does it all...a SET that can rock! Or, can sort out big orchestral pieces without breaking a sweat. Can't wait to hear the Franks.
Mikirob,
Agree with the welcome mat being out for all music genres. The Frankenstein and honestly any good quality SET plays it all, and the lesser SETs will falter. This is true for all topologies, certainly not every solid state amplifier is universally accomplished reproducing all music genres successfully. Complex or dense music isn't an obstacle for the Frankenstein. Bill who listens to more of this type of music than I do would I'm sure concur. Just match this group of low power amplifiers with a suitable speaker and you're all set. Mikirob has confirmed that with his very joyful reporting here of his listening sessions. These amplifiers bring the music alive.
Charles,
Hi Mikirob,
You're a bass player and I have a comment for you. Last night I attended a jazz performance and the bass player made ample use of his bow on the ballads. This con arco playing just captivates me with its beauty, I could have just melted away, man, did he sound good!
Is con arco playing more difficult than plucking the strings as is more common in nazz music? I love both but that bow moving across those strings is just delicious.
Thanks,
Charles,
No, I never thought it more difficult. I used to play with a number of Berklee College of Music people in Boston (ages ago). As you know as a trumpet player yourself (my first instrument), practice, practice, practice, good teachers, it all becomes second nature. As I stated elsewhere here, I come from a family of musicians. I haven't played formally since the 70s. Took a different career path.