Stand alone tweeters

Has/does anyone use these or anything like it? If I was going to purchase and hook them up I assume I would have to use a separate amp? They are 8 ohms and my Tylers are 4 ohms. I am tapped to the 4 ohm output of my Mcintosh now. The only way I think I could do it is to run the tweeters with the rear L&R of my Harmon Kardon, run it in full stereo mode and adjust the channel outputs accordingly. ( I use the Harmon Kardon as a pre and am not concerned about home theater). What do you guys/gals think?
nuguy
You may not always be able to hear them directly that well but you can hear the effect. Commentators say they can't hear the Townshend supertweeters at all when they put their ear up to them, but when they are turned off, the difference in the total sound field is quite marked. Apparently they work even if you don't have a lot of direct hearing above 10Khz, it is not a "direct hearing" kind of thing, more a matter of how the high frequencies effect the sound field and psychoacoustics.
Have a friend switch them in and out while you listen. If you really can't hear the difference, then its a long run for a short slide, but you should hear the difference.
The main task of stand-alone tweeters are somewhat similar to subwoofers but at the different end of sonic range of freequencies.

the cut-off point of supertweeter limits the visible spectrum of the main one thus bringing more defined and flat responce.
As much as I am fascinated with an add on supertweeter,I cannot get away from the fact that if you have a tweeter coming in about fifteen to twenty khz or higher,the addition essentially doubles the response,above that point.I don't think that's too good,and don't want to add any false sense of air,which may be reinforcement,rather than "info"!Yet I have heard the Townshend(on a speaker limited to 17khz,and mine go out to 25khz,so I'm a bit paranoid about screwing up a really good presentation)and it shocked me as to how effective they were,in a good way.
I initiated a similar question some months ago,and got back very negative comments from an audio industry person who sort of convinced me to give up the thought.

YET,AND YET.......

Best!

Best!
RE: The Townshends:

Get 'em. Plug'em in to your system. Follow the installation instructions (easy).

They try to take them out!!

Hehehehehe!!!! (Insane laughter)
Look into fostex you will get a better product and performance for less cash