Bloated speakers/weight wise

Hopefully most of us are keeping to our new years diet resolutions. But what about speakers, can they be overweight too? How many of us enjoy shoving around a speraker that weighs in at MORE than we do? I mean really is it really necessary to have speakers that weigh in at more than 150 lbs? I might go as high as 175, but even that is in need of a diet. What do you get more from a 150 lb speaker that i don't get from my 70 lb speaker.
So who are the haaviest speakers on the planet? list some brands and corresponding weiths.
I know Legacy and Wilson's are up there, any others?
bartokfan
Zaikesman-
Wouldn't it make sense that shorter cone excursion is less apt to cause the rocking tendency you mention?
John says:"Ck out Wilson AlexandriaX2, @ 1100 pounds each!!!!!! WHAAAAAAAAA. Calling on Hercules. Man I have trouble bench pressing 150. Of course we knows its a studio speaker. I guess the Wilson line gets first place in the Big Fats category.
Prpixel, you are correct, you don't need a big fat speaker to get the 20hz's. Thats a myth.
Anyone know the exact weight of Tyler's Big Boys, the Super Towers with the dual 10's, Can't recall the name. I think I saw like 250 each, but that tower looks more than 250 each. I could be wrong.
Paul
By itself a speaker's weight means little, but in the context of an overall design it can quite useful. The problem involves lowering the sonic contribution of the speaker cabinet, which at some frequencies can amount to 40% of the overall sound emitted by the speaker (I saw that measurement in an old Stereophile). The easiest way to limit the cabinet's output is to make it massive and less likely to be sympathetically excited. There are other ways to make the cabinet highly rigid and inflexible, but they are expensive (contrained layer, exotic materials, etc.). As a practical matter if you want low distortion, high volume and deep bass your speaker will have to be solidly built which equates to high mass. That could mean 30 to 50 pounds for some speakers and 200 to 500 for others.
Easy now Paul. That 2286 lbs/pair is shipping weight. I'm sure they are absolutely svelte when you take the X-2's out of their crates. :-)

John