Tyler Signature System versus Merlin VSM-MM

For those who have compared these systems, I would be interested in comments.

Use is two channel, but surround speakers may be added using these as fronts for HT.

Room is 19x33. Listening positon is about 11-13 feet from 19ft wide wall. Total room volume is about 5000 cubic feet.

The room can eat low frequencies (basement with carpet, insulated walls and acoustic ceiling). If I do the HT, I definitely will be looking at a 15" or larger sub.

I have a pair to Tyler Taylo Reference Monitors in a small A/V setup and I like the sound for that purpose. They would be far short of the weight needed in the bigger room and lack the lower bottom end.

Amp is a Plinius 8200p (175 watts) and preamp is 20-year-old PS Audio which will be replaced. Arcam CD.

In the used market, the Merlins are slightly more expensive (roughly 4k vs 3K+). I tend to keep equipment a long time, so the price difference is not important.

I would be interested in comparisons. I'm in the Denver area and can't demo either system. My guess is that I would have to integrate a sub with Merlins based on what I have read.

The system will be on at all times since the the TV sound is run though it.

Thanks in advance.

Jerry
jerrym303
Jerrym303,

The FWIW department, I'm just a Tyler Signature System owner..........

Bobby P has given you a huge clue - These speakers will sound nothing alike, in any room. Apples v Oranges and that is apart from the additional issues of the driving electronics.

Evita is correct, the Tylers do have a warmer signature than the typical 'audiophile, hair shirt type, speaker, but the warmth doesn't come with a reduction in mid-range/high frequency resolution, in fact in my room they are providing me with excellent resolution. I've lived the past 20 years with Thiels, Paragon's, Quad 63's, all of which are fairly revealing with a flatish frequency response, and I went thru a lot of electronics trying to find the best match. Never was quite satisfied except for LP's and very high quality CD's. I think, in retrospect, what I was looking for was the 'warmth' that the Tylers provide.

Frankly, at the end of the day, I'm enjoying my Tylers driven by (hold your breath now) a cheapo Primaluna 3/5 pre-amp/amp combo, a Wadia 302 (with a CAL DAC as an alternative for certain recordings), as I have ever enjoyed any of the other combo's in the past. (Now if I can just replace my phono section.)

If you really enjoy your sound system with a bit of a warm signature you can't go wrong with the Tylers. If your still chasing the holy grail of flat frequency response as many audiophiles are don't buy the Tylers. You can add some warmth to the others but you won't get the warmth out of the Tylers. Not even with SS stuff :-).
With respect to bass, be aware that the bass extension w/teh Merlin super BAM is much better, but a 19 x 33' room is quite large. I think that you would want a pair of subs if you went Merlins. I am a Merlin owner and have not heard the Tylers. Just my $0.02.
Thanks for the comments. I'm going to take some time to decide. Maybe I'll work a deal with Bobby to try some Merlins.

I'm adding Green Mountain to list since I can demo those and many who like these speakers also like the GMA's.

I'm also going to swap the Taylos for the Vandersteens in my main system for a while.

I do plan on at least one sub no matter what I get.
Jerry, if your in the Denver area, do yourself a favor and drive 50 miles south on I-25 to Colorado Springs and visit the Green Mountain Audio factory. You have one of the really great designers in this industry pretty much in your back yard. It would be a shame not to listen to his product. Call the designer (Roy Johnson) beforehand so he can dedicate some time to you. I can assure you that you will leave there completely impressed with his knowledge and his product. His number is (719) 636-2500
In the meantime, do a search here for customer comments on his speakers.