Here's a challenge:a class A sound system for less

You may have heard the finest systems in show rooms or in expos or in a friend's house, those system's that cost well over $50,000. So you know the sound I'm talking about...... But can you get this sound for less? Name the system and components that make up a system that brings the sense of you are there experience but cost much less. Let's set the limit to $10,000. Name the components and speakers and cost, even used prices could be used since the components most likely are available here on agon. Let's see who could come up with the best deal.
pedrillo
CURRENTLY posted on 'Gon (AND assuming no issues for these used components):

Source: Sony DVP NS 999ES w/ Modwright Signature Truth mods $1550;

Preamp: DIY Hi Fi Supply Django (factory assembled w/S&B transformer and silver wiring) $895

Amp: Atma-Sphere M60 MKII.2 monoblocks $2275

Loudspeakers: Talon Khorus X $4000

Total cost (less cables) = $8720

I've owned the ModWright Sony. The Django and Atma-Spheres are my own ads (sorry, both are sold). I use Atma-Sphere M60 MKII.3s (w/Speltz Zeros - show up used on 'Gon for $250 or so) to drive a pair of Talon Firebird Diamonds with beautiful synergy.

There are dozens of great ideas, but this combo would be WAY good for the cost.
regarding the nearfield listening discussion above: I'm not sure if there hasn't been this level of discussion on A'gon previously, or if I just missed it. I frankly thought my rooms were already set up in nearfield; but I decided to experiment based on Nsgarch's comment in the first reply above:

(BTW, were talking not more than 8 feet away from the speakers +/_)

I have 2 "reference" systems in different dedicated rooms. One room is 14x22, with Totem Mani-2s driven by B&K M200 Sonatas (4 of them biamped), Musical Fidelity pre. My seating position was about 12 ft from the Totems which are 4 1/2 ft from the wall. I moved my seat in 2 ft so I'm now 10 ft from the speakers (measured from divers to my ears). The result was a profound improvement in the definition, and depth of the sound stage. My next step is to try to move my seat closer still, but that requires more significant furniture mod's, so I need to find time for that.

The other room is a larger, irregular room with the main section being a virtual square 16'x16', and another smaller square section 12x12 off-set on one corner. I have Von Scheikert VR4gen III's driven by Conrad Johnson dual MF2100s in vertical biamp, and a Dared tube preamp. The VR4s are set up on a diagonal line on one corner, about 3 1/2 ft from the wall, and my seating position was about 13 1/2 ft from the speakers. I moved my seat 3 ft closer to the speakers with similarly profound results as the other room. In this room, I anticipate I'll have to reposition the VR4s closer together as I move my seat in still more, but will continue to experiment.

A few additional points I would make about this change: 1) both of these systems sounded wonderful before I made the change, and I had spent a great deal of time and care in optimizing the speaker placement. I simply didn't consider moving my seat that close previously as it seemed counter-intuitive to me. 2) ALL I have done so far is move my seat closer. I haven't tried any further tuning of the speaker position (ie moved them closer together), 3) In both rooms, even though they're not exactly small, the repositioning of the seating solved some "arangement issues" I previously had and make the rooms more aesthetically appealing as well as sonically appealing.
At CES 2006, Positive Feedback's Dave and Carol Clark reported on some of the products AAA Audio had on display. From the AAA Audio room: "An Original CD-2008 MK II HDCD/CD player, Dussun V8i Integrated amplifier, Tetra 306 loudspeakers—MSRP is $8500 for a KILLER system."

I'm taking a serious look at the V8i integarated from the Dussun. 250 watts per channel, dual mono design. $1598
Bartkofan,More people need to put systems together like yours.This is the future of high end value.Kit speakers,direct purchases from manufacturers and use of cheap cables that still sound good.Well done!Why pay exhorbitant retail mark up and inflated pricing due to advertising costs when you dont have to.
And in this light did I mention Supratek!

JT
Jtgofish, most people here have money, and feel no need to look at a kit. In fact I'd guess 20% of the members here change out their speakers every 3 to 4 yrs.
Look at all the used speakers on the Gon.
I'm interested in the Tyler's and my have to drive to his showroom to see what his Seas' are all about.
I hope to give a report.
I trust no ones ears but my own.
But you're right a kit offers you best value, and you get to see how the Xover is designed, even if you don't know what all the components mean.
And you get to see exactly what the drivers look like, most speaker manufactures have the drivers locked in palce so that you can't remeove them and see how cheap they are.
Order 1 of Seas' Excel, midwoofers, the W18, just so you can see what this gem really looks like in your hand.
Then you can resell it on ebay for 25% less.
Also Tyler has some customers around the country who offer home demos of their Ty's, I emailed the one in jackson Miss, but received no answer, so not sure whats uo with that.
I would never ever buy a speaker unless I heard it on my amp first.
BIg expensive ads, and audio "reviews" are absoluetly nothing to me. Some offer no showrooms, or local dealers. Like the Theil. "oh they are the greatest...you don't need to listen before buying" And other such nonsense.
Only judge based on listening with my amp and my cdp.
I paln to visit Tyler in a yr or 2.
Will post some comments.

Yes I did buy the Thors w/o a demo listening. always exceptions to the rule, but I knew 99% these are the speakets I would be most happy with. And it paid off.
But don't go on what I say, do the test listening for yourself.
If anyone is near Baton Rouge, look me up, bring your amp
The only "complaint" i have with the Thors ,a s they are a MTM design, is the too much midrange, abit too forward, and lacks a tad of the deep bass.
Which is why I want to haer Ty's design with the W22 (8 inch, 3 way) and W26(10 inch) 3 way.
However woth a 3 way there may be less of the seamless image I get with the Thors.
Besides the Ty's with the W26 go for like $4500, and they weigh a ton. Mine weigh 80 lbs each.
I pd $2K includes ship.
I might be able to boost the lower hz's by a heftier amp, making it un-necessary for the big Tylers. Most classical does not demand deep bass, only for the cellos and timpini.

ph is

Paul

Baton Rouge