Which is Best loudspeaker in the $1000-1200 range?

I am planning to do an upgrade, and I would like to know which loudspeakers REALLY stand out in this price range. Please don't reply telling which loudspeaker you have. I want to know which are the true winners....I mean, those loudspeakers that cost a $1000 but sound like they cost $2500! Which are the "best buy" options that are a total consensus among audiophiles?
figueiredops
Beheme's conclusions do make sense. But there's also the point that sometimes the taxes that firms pay to export are smaller than the taxes they pay to sell in the internal market, and this may actually make exports cheaper, even when you include shipping costs. Maybe that's why the cost of a pair of B&W's in the US is the same as the cost in the UK!

The analysis about marketing expenses are impecable, though. Some firms do spend too much trying to prove how good they are.
The analysis about marketing expenses are impecable, though. Some firms do spend too much trying to prove how good they are.

We have no knowledge of what percent B&W spends on advertising; don't go by some off the cuff statements made on the internet as if they are fact. Furthermore, that is a sorry gauge about a product anyway.

Buying “local brands” can have its own pitfalls and certainly isn’t any guarantee of a good product and a larger company can have advantages because of greater resources.
i second spendor(maybe s5e), for its outstanding midrange performance and polite though extremely tunefull bass.
"Maybe that's why the cost of a pair of B&W's in the US is the same as the cost in the UK!"

Agree but price differential may also come from market-specific pricing to remain competitive and adjust to the strength/weakness of their currency.
In the last 2-3 years, European brands have suffered from very strong currency that almost put then out of market in some cases. It was not uncommon for them to cut down on margins eventually (all things relative though, they usually cut channel markups, not their own profits!)when selling in NorAm. That does not make their product a real value winner as they usually benchmark with other international brand prices (think B&W vs Dynaudio vs JM Lab in NorAm).

The reverse is also true: Canadian brands have been privileged with a very weak currency between 2000-2003 and companies like Totem or SimAudio have raised their international prices to equal or about nominal value (Arros sold for about $1,100 CAD in Canada and $1,100 euros in Europe, a 200% difference!...SimAudio W5 sold for about 4,500 CAD, euros or USD). Think about the channel margin paid by your cousin in Italy on a pair of Arros at close to $2,500 CAD at the time!!!!!

Figueiredops, at the end, the true economics of buying local and as direct as possible makes sense in terms of value, at purchase and during the course of ownership(if and when the offering makes it possible). At one point, I had to have my Totem and SimAudio gear checked and was happy to have both manufacturers at driving distance or at least domestic, easier, cheaper, faster than when I had to have my Unison Research checked (they had to order a part from Italy!). I am far from saying one should only buy domestic or basement brands but if the market permits, this is a good idea in order to get closer to the $1,000 item that sounds like the $2,500 (although this sentence makes little sense in the context of today's diverse supply of sometimes questionable quality). The internet has allowed little known domestic one-owner brands to get as much exposure as the large one spending $$$ in print media. 20yrs ago, it would have been hard for Tyler Acoustics to get the level of awareness in the audio community if they had had to rely on small printed columns at the end of TAS. Today, tks to Agon and other audio sites, Tyler products get the same level of exposure as a B&W. Anyone should AB a N703 and a Taylo 7U to see what value means.
Note: I am not affiliated with Tyler at all, never owned any of their products but always been impressed at shows or friends.
If you buy used you can get a pair of Vandersteen 2ce Signature's in that range. A VERY nice, full range(or close to it) speaker for the money. Sound is more on the warm side.