Is Apogee in a class by itself among planars?

As a former owner of Apogee Stages, after listening to a number of popular planars, I still feel that Apogee produced an uncanny feeling of live music better than anything else IMHO all these years later. Although they weren't the most detailed, didn't have very well defined bass, and didn't have a very holistic soundstage, there was just something undefineable to me that sounded real (even when listening from the another room), along with unsurpassed vocals, that makes me say "There's something about Apogees." Am I hallucinating? If not, how was this achieved?
rgs92
Kr4,

For an excellent primer on the differences between ribbons, planars, and electrostats, see the following link, beginning on page 10:

http://www.eminent-tech.com/Manuals/LFT-8Manual.PDF
Kr4...I have always found it easy to distinguish a ribbon from planar. A ribbon is very long and narrow...like 3/4 inch wide and 50 inches long. A planar speaker, like a Magnepanar will be more like 12 inches wide and 50 inches long. I would not take into account whether the drive is electrostatic or magnetic.
OK. The referred to manual from Eminent Tech distinguishes between different drive systems and further distinguishes a ribbon as having its magnetic polarity across the surface of its diaphragm rather than normal to it. Nonetheless, electrostatic speakers and electrodynamic speakers are usually planar with polarization vestors normal to the radiation surface. Ribbons might be distinguishable on the basis of polarization vestor but their dimensions are not relevant.

In other words, Apogees and Magnepans are planar, at least for their larger diaphragms. Some of their tweeters may be ribbons because of magnetic structure but not really because of dimensions. Comments?

Kal
Kr4...I guess the narrow ribbon dimension is a necessary condition to use a magnetic field across its surface.