speakers for wall bookcase

boy i hate to ask this question, but it may be one of the most important questions i have ever ask in fifty years of audio, i have downsize to an apt. studio and have only a wall of shelves for my equipment. i need new elctronics, cd,int.amp. speakers..some suggestions thanks dwhitt
dwhitt
I listened to a bunch of "bookshelf" speakers before purchasing the Nola Minis (the lastest version of what used to be Alon Lil Rascasls). My main listening system includes large floorstanders and considerable time/investment in electronics so I'm hard to please even when it comes to an office/family room system.

The Minis are musical, affordable, smallish, front ported and can be placed on a shelf . They will play quite happily fed by modest electronics, although they will sing with high quality gear.

The Minis are true high end (albeit budget) speakers and thus have the refinement, spaciouness, detail and timbral accuracy that this line is known for.

Where they differ from the competition is in their bass heft (it feels like they go much deeper than they actually do, certainly much deeper than similarly priced competitors), their refined top end (sweeter and more extended than my old Lil Rascals) and dynamics - they will play effortlessly at loud volumes without congestion or strain. They were much better to my ears than contenders from NHT, Epos, Energy, B&W et al. If you are an audiophile music lover, you won't feel like you are "missing" something with the Minis. If you are into bass heavy music, you could eventually acquire a Nola Thunderbolt sub, although you don't really need it for most types of music. (I have Minis and a TB in the HT system.)

I'm not much of a NAD fan - too veiled and stodgy to my ears, although I know other people love NAD amps - I am a fan of Creek and their excellent integrateds. There are actually a buch of good intergrateds on the market. If you don't want to go to a server solution, there are VG afforable CD player options from Music Hall and Jolida. I also wouldn't hesitate to buy used here at the 'Gon. Meridian players have a small footprint.