On the draining of resonance.....

I have read of the importance of controlling resonance in components that contain motors and transformers. This seems to involve placing isolation points or bearings under components to attract or "drain away" micro vibrations, I suppose, of resonating frequencies. Ok--say this works, but hasn't the resonance already occurred as it is being drained away through the bottom of the chassis? I get the idea of isolating out airborne vibrations carried by the rack, stand, plinth, block, etc, but......really?
128x128jafreeman
I think the idea here is to remove excess or spurious energy from your system so it doesn't interfere with the good vibrations:-/ Whether it is internally or externally generated, resonance isn't an instantaneous or infinitely singular event that "happens" and then it's over, rather it involves vibrations or resonant movement within a system that usually decays over time. Draining unwanted or spurious "resonance" away from an audio component to an adjacent structure were it can be absorbed or dissipated as heat is a legitimate concept, at least in theory, to limit vibrations to those related to the relevant musical content, and not the frequency of your motor, transformer, etc. Try it for yourself, you might like the results.

kn
Draining vibrations for all many of things has been around for a long, long time.
Vibrations oscillate or reciprocate and can build up to be more of a mess if left unattended. Minute they can be and limited in scope and effect, but in the end it can be heard.

All the best,
Nonoise