importance of phono cartridge

Is a cartridge more important to total system sonics than a turntable/tonearm, will a $1600 TT/tonearm with a high end cartridge sound better than a $5000 TT/tonearm with a average cartridge
dsremer
>>yeah, judy is an anti jmw-9 person<<

You betcha'I am. The Scout and Scoutmaster are very nice tables but the JMW-9 arm is awful.
Alun, I would agree that the stand is very important. Especially considering non-suspended tables. However, there are very well designed suspended tables that don't much care what they sit on, within reason.

I think this discussion has morphed abit from the original question which is being answered in rather general and broad responses about synergy. If we start talking more specifically about components and combinations then I expect that many posters here would change their answers. Just an observation that we have broadened the scope of what started this thread.
Good point Dan! I for one find it's REALLY important as my table is non suspension.
Regards...
I may need to reevaluate my previous post.I have on loan from Albert the Purest Audio Dominous IC.I did not have the provision of connecting this up to my table,but ran from preamp to amp and made a quantumn leap in sound quality improvement that is staggering.Bass slam,coerence of sound,dead silence, midband reproduction to die for,and a naturalness to all notes played off my LP.
The tonearm cable may be the secret too a fully charged up front end after all.
Of course a product review of this cable I will write up after I continue to listen to this mid boggeling Dominous Cable during the next 2 weeks.