What can I expect in a UPS damage claim?

I shipped two 60 lbs speakers packed in it's orginial packing, and them added more packing materials, to a fellow audiogon member. They arrived very damaged; crushed corners, smashed top tweeter, scratches, gauges in the box. I called UPS, a rep is contacting the my buyer today and setting up a time to come and inspect the speakes. What should we expect?
gretsch6120
I had a Revel performa f30 damaged on the corners. Also the tweeter was bent in. Of course UPS tried to blame me for inadequate packing although they were in original boxes that were in good condition. Revel also tried to say they were damaged before shipment. I drove 9 hours to pick my next pair of speakers up personally. Tim
I've no experience with UPS claims but if the boxes are original and all the original packing was used I would think about getting rid of any non-original packing that you added because I wouldn't be surprised if UPS tried to blame the damage on the extra packing materials.

Also, to pick up on something the last responder mentioned, I would consider advising the buyer to "make sure" (by any means necessary!!!!) that BOTH speakers are damaged. Otherwise they will probably only going to cover one even though that really doesn't solve the problem as speakers are sold in pairs.
Good luck dealing with "Big Brown."
the 1st thing you can expect is for ups to pull a fast one,they are going to send a truck to your buyers house to pick up the speakers to take them to an"inspection center" tell ups that you need onsite inspection & that you will not allow the speakers to be transported from site.

even though you tell ups most of the time they still try to pick up the item instead of sending an onsite inspector,once ups has the damaged speakers in their hands they will send them back to your doorstep without asking you.

the second thing you can expect is for the ups inspector to deny your claim on the grounds of improper packing no matter how they are packed"unwritten policy" but as long as you know the ups packing guidelines & followed them or better than thats easy to beat.

the third thing is that after you get an onsite inspection you will no longer be dealing with ups you will be dealing with their insurance carrier,ups does not insure their own shipping its outsourced,the insurance carrier will then send you some forms to fill out & request a damage repair estimate at that time your buyer will have to do a lot of legwork lugging the speakers to a dealer for a estimate.

with electronics it isnt so bad but with speakers damage claims are a nightmare & unless your carefull everybody looses,as Kennyt said above if only one speaker received damage ups will not pay for the pair,cabinet damage can never be repaired without costing as much as buying a whole new speaker & if you didnt sell them for msrp they will only pay what you sold them for no matter how high you insured them for so cabinet repair is pretty much out of the question.

if both speakers have not recieved damage its going to be a long hard road & your buyer or you will end up getting screwed,some reading between the lines here helps,both speakers need to recieve damage for ups to pay for them both.

mike
I had a similer experince. Speakers, originaly from France, were packed exactly as they had been when bought by original purchaser in their original shipping cartons.

The box had obviously been dropped and this ruined the crossover. UPS sent a guy to me to take photos and then they denied the claim saying the pakaging was insufficent. The seller (who gets paid for the claim, not the buyer)knew someone at UPS and got them to finally pay for the damages. Not pretty.

Good luck.
For really expensive items I like to take the items along with original boxes to the authorized shipper who will also package it all up for me. I also like to request an additional box that goes around everything. I requested this of a seller of a really expensive amp and it arrived in perfect condition.

Also, I like to pay extra for fastest airfare available. I don't like ground.