Spike or decouple ?

As you know,many speakers come w/ spikes (as does my VR4SE)
However,just read a piece by Greg Weaver(stereo times?)saying decoupling-in this case Vibripods on a board- under
this particular spkr gave them improved performance- esp.
the bass area. Hard to beleive many manufactures would continue to reccomend spikes if this were not the best way to go - but who knows ? Pls tell us your experience.
128x128gousl9
I like my floorstanding Dynaudios with spikes through carpet to concrete floor. When I uncouple them, something is lost. It seems that I lose definition in the bass frequencies. But, its always trial and error for speaker placement.
Thanks all for your response. I guess like so many things
in this hobby it's trial and error.Thanks again and good
listening.
My Soliloquy monitors are on #2 Vibrapods after trying many things (commercial tweaks and other) underneath them. With the Vibrapods I don't sense any blurring, the tones are richer sounding, and the deeper bass seems to get a nice small boost that is just wonderful.
Note that I did try Audiopoints .2 brass cones, but they appeared to increase transient impacts such that I would get a minor headache after 20 minutes of listening.

Chris
decouple in which plane?

IME, decoupling in the horizontal afforded noticable benefits vs spikes. haven't tried decoupling in the vertical as of yet.

horizontal decouplers: finite element footers, rollerblocks, et al....which all couple vertically
vertical decouplers: bright star audio, vibrapods, squishy balls etc.

rhyno