Wife Acceptance Factor

I hear alot about Wife Acceptance Factor when it comes to equipment. I'm getting married in 6 months. Fortunately, my fiance is pretty accepting of the hobby. Just curious about all those guys out there who have a family and are still allowed to invest their spending money almost entirely on audio equipment. After you get married, do most women step in and try to squash spending on this hobby? Opinions welcome!!!
firecracker_77
Funny thing at home last night. Had a discussion (I did not initiate this!) about some new jewelry that my wife just bought that day. The conversation was going well about how her new earrings would look with her new necklace and, for some reason, she said that I was not, in essence, enthusiastic enough. Groan. Well, says I, I really do appreciate the jewelry as I understand YOUR happiness and enthusiasm about what you like, just like I do with my audio. Well, that extracted one of those silent moments (felt like a week) with a look. “You aren’t really comparing your audio stuff to my jewelry, are you?”
It kind of went downhill from there. You know what I mean.
Sigh.
I'm blessed to have a wife who is not only accepting of my hobby, but sometimes actually encourages it. One night after putting in some very expensive ICs to demo, she listened and said "you can't take those back!" She's also "given" me what was a more formal, and sizeable, living room to dedicate to audio, including panels, traps etc. The only thing she inisists on is that I don't make her do critical listening or A/B testing with new gear. She wants to listen to music, not gear.

On the other hand, I try and seek her input on what she would like to see. She insisted that my last two sets of speakers be done in real rosewood and that my rack be relatively nice to look at. No problem, I like good looking gear too. Since she also likes to listen several times a week, I'm buying new furniture for the room that pleases her.

My advice is to make certain her basic needs are well taken care of first, and then try and engage her in the music end of the hobby. Find out what she really likes to listen to and build a catalog for her. Oh, and get a listening chair that's big enough for the two of you to snuggle up in. It's one of the best tweaks I know for enhancing the musical experience.
There are 3 Rings in Marriage. The engagement Ring, The wedding Ring, and the Suffering.

Good advice given above and make sure your house has a room for a dedicated listening room..Good luck.

Chris
Trust me I work in the business the WAF is very real.
I don't know how many nu*less guys I have run across.
It is funny how they let ther wifes run there lives,
they tell me they want hi end sound but only can have bose size speakers then I laugh & tell the it will never happen.
The I have to explain to them why you can't get good sound through small speakers. (I must deprogram them from the bose commercials)I don't understand why they just don't tell there wifes to shut it, it's my money, & I will buy what I want!
Seems to be the other way around. Sometimes though you get that wonderfull wife who likes the stuff & encourages them to buy what they want. I told my girlfrined that this is my hobby I will always do it & if you don't like it then either deal with it or leave because it was here before you & it will be here after you. IMHO
PS:
(I know, im not married so I have no idea what it's like, & I should just wait till im married then ill give in) NOT!!