Would you buy speakers with out first listening ?

I've never owned a pair of speakers that I have not listened to before hand...do you guys trust and buy on opinion? If so, have you experienced any great "let down".

Dave
sogood51
Post removed 
Absolutely NOT. I have heard so many very expensive pairs of speakers that I could never live with for any length of time. I realize that it is not practical to expect a home audition, but one can tell quite a lot from hearing a speaker that is set up well in a showroom that one is familiar. If I buy from a dealer, I expect the dealer to help with set up, finding a suitable amp and tweaking.

Currently, very few commercial designs interest me. But, I've heard a number of custom designed systems that sound very good. If I do change my speakers, something I don't expect to do for a long time, I will go that route. That necessarily involves close interaction with the designer and listening to different options, etc.

My next interim upgrade will probably be an active crossover. I know a builder/designer who I can work with towards getting a complex active system to work correctly.
Absolutely NOT. Just like Larry - I've listened to a lot of "high-end" speakers that I couldn't stand. Nor is it a good idea to make expensive judgments based on the opinions on message boards. (One look at the Audiogon "Recordings to Die For" list will prove that point :)
There's always a hardcore group that likes anything (especially the newest, most-hyped equipment) even more so after they've plunked down a few grand and own it. And they're the people who tend to post about it actively, so there's an inherent bias. For example, I dislike the new Gallo Ref III's, but I'm not going to waste my time running around chat boards warning everybody who asks about them, but at the same time there's a few Gallophiles who enjoy raving about them whenever they get the chance.

Once you're above a certain level of design and build quality, it all depends on your particular ears, brain, and likes/dislikes.

And lastlly, one all-important important consideration - the amount of grief you will get from your wife when you have to eat a $1500 loss because you don't like your new speakers as soon as you hook 'em up. Trust me - I know about that firsthand!
I am just getting back into the game and everything has changed from when I sold stereos to work my way through college in the early 70s. In the last six months, over the internet, I have purchased B&W Matrix 803, B&W CDM2, JM Lab Electra 906, Velodyne SLP-1200, Revel Performa F50 & C50, all used. We are happy with all of the purchases: It even makes my wife happy to argue over which one sounds better. My wife likes the JM Labs & Velodyne SLP-1200 better than the Revels. If she were not watching me type this, I would tell you she is wrong.

Research it first. If you buy it used and do not like it, sell it. If you buy it right, your loss should be minimal. It certainly gives you access to speakers otherwise unavailable.
I just picked up Innersound EROS MKII speakers with never hearing them, and I love them..people say the sweet-spot is too narrow, in my case I cant move my neck at all so its no big deal.