Cary 306 Professional vs. Marantz SA11S3

I am trying to make a decision on 2 SACD/CD players: The Cary Audio 306 Professional, which retails for $8,000 and the Marantz SA11S3, which retails for $4,000. I can purchase the Cary Audio for 50% at least, so it puts it at the same price point as the Marantz. The Cary was made a while back, while the Marantz is newer. However, I am trying to discern in terms of quality, build, and CD performance, which is the more superior? I've read some great things on the Marantz, though there were very little comparisons to other CD player options. Looks like the Audio Research CD8 kind of sets the standard, but at $10,000, it is way out of my price range. So what about the Cary vs. the Marantz? Looking for a player with no listening fatigue (which neither players really have at all), detail, resolution, clarity with neutral to slight warmth. Something very musical while retrieving as much detail as possible in this price range. Much appreciation.

My system is Primaluna Dialogue HP Premium Integrated Tube Amp & Sonus Faber Olympica III speakers. Thanks!
djfst
I owned the Cary 306 SACD which was the model before the Pro.
Mine played SACD's. Actually quite well.
It was a very, good sounding CD player.

I copied all of the SACD's from the Cary to a Tascam at 24/192 then onto a external hard drive. They sound awesome! Most of them sound even better than HiRez downloads.

I eventually sold the player, but its a very good sounding unit.
I must add though the drawer gave me fits. I sent it back to Cary 3 times. Cary really didn't treat me too well though. They didn't care if it had been in 3 times for the same problem. They still charged me every time it was sent back and the last time the cost was about $1000.
"08-11-15: Alpha_gt
Perhaps my Cary 306 is an older model? As to why it doesn't play SACD? Honestly, the man I bought it from told me it didn't play them, I haven't actually tried. And don't own one to try. The instruction manual makes no mention."

Are you sure you have a 306 Pro? If I remember correctly, the 306/200 is just a CD player, but all the Pro's are SACD. If you're not sure, you can find out by removing the cover and look to see what DAC chips you have.
If I remember correctly, the first 306 model was the 306, which did HDCD and 24/96. The 306/200 added 24/192. Then came the 306 SACD, which added SACD. Then, the 306 SACD Pro, which was meant to be the ultimate SACD player. For the SACD Pro Denis went to Sony to get the best SACD engineers he could find.

The first 3 used Pacific Microsonic chips for HDCD, but the SACD Pro did not, since the chips were not longer available. So it has a Burr Brown chip that does HDCD.

I am pretty sure the labels on the front and back of the case should tell you whether a model is SACD capable.
There you have it! Thank you Dtc for clearing that up. Mine is a 306/200 apparently. I just bought it in May, so I'm still in the "Honeymoon" phase. I'm still mesmerized by the rock solid performance, and overall neutral tonal balance. All my CD's are new again! Some sound much better with the pressing of the 24/96 button, others, hardly any difference if any. I haven't figured out why that is just yet. What is different about those that do? I've been experimenting with what available cables I've got around here, and it looks like I'm going with the Harmonic Technologies Precision. Single ended, I'd love to try the XLR outputs but at present do not own a good pair of XLR cables. On my list of things to do. All of this has me now wanting to upgrade my preamp! The curse of the audiophile. Will it ever end?

So, Djfst, have you made a purchase yet? I'm very interested to know what you bought, and what you think of it.
As I understand it, there are two buttons on the 306/200. The Digital 24/96 Sample button controls whether the digital output signal is upscaled to 96/24 or left at the input sample rate/depth. The Analog 192/24 Converter button determines whether the digital signal is upscaled to 192/24 before conversion to analog. So, if you are using analog output, the Digital 24/96 button should have not effect, but the 192/24 button may.

The manual is on the Cary website under Support.

On of the nice features of the 306 line is that they accept digital inputs, so you can use them as a DAC in a PC music setup.

Nice piece :)