Best Preamp for under $1750.00

Seeking recommendations for a preamp in the $750 to $1750 range. Balance of system consists of Aerial 8's, Bryston 7B's, and CAL CL-15. Room acoustics and speakers would favour lean over lush; I'm looking for something musical without being on the "warm" side. Music preferences include acoustic, jazz, and rock. Will re-cable according to final selections
emmett
cat, cat or...cat: under $1750 its difficult but used MkII or MkI Signature may be within reach. I will join advice given to you above: first audition all available preamps and only then listen to CAT and then you will know. Good luck. Simon
Try the Placette passive risk free for 30 days and see what you think. I haven't heard it yet but everything I've read indicates this thing excels at adding nothing to the sound and provides an extraordinarily accurate volume control with remote. I'm going to try it myself since they give you 30 days--I have nothing to lose and at $1500 this could be an incredible bargain. If you're truly interested in a preamp that just passes the signal I'd say this unit is a must audition. Take a look at www.placetteaudio.com. Best of luck.

Tim
Tuff question! If I were in your position I would audition the Plaxette Passive, Marsh P200T and Rogue 99. These are the preamps in your price range that I have heard and would recommend, but some of the previous posters have made some darn good suggestions also. Listen to as many as you can and good luck with your purchase.
i would like to know the best preamp new or used on under 2500.00, thank's greg.
Classe DR6, For years this baby was the Absolute Sounds reference preamp. Some come with a remote, DR6R I believe. This is a great sounding preamp that does everything right. It has a separate power supply and an excellent phono stage. They can be bought for $700-$1200 on Audiogon. You won't regret the purchase!