McIntosh - is it that great?

I'm just curious if McIntosh gear is all that great. How does their older power amps compare to new products from other high end manufactures? Are there any products I should stay away from. I like the idea of owning vintage McIntosh stuff. Most of their stuff seems pricy. Is it because it's that good or do people just like to collect their products. thanks for you opinions--Matt
mattman
No other company has been as consistent as Mac, and is still around doing the same thing after being in the business for over 50 years.

No other company's products have better resale value.

Mac has a real engineering team with over 30 people, unlike some garage operation of other so called high end companies.

No other company has a bigger crowd of loyal repeat customers.

No other company has got the same open door policy and allows you to do factory tours like this: http://www.stereopal.com/McIntosh%20Intro.htm

And yes, I have a pair of MC275 IV and they sound awesome.

I believe Mac's reputation speaks for itself.

Simon
I own 5 pieces of Mac gear including both SS and tubes, i fully agree with the above post, Mac is 100 percent...the real deal,no games no gimmicks just pure great stuff.
I have heard, read for years how marginal Mac gear is (audiophile wise). Had to get some brawn to drive a pair of Maggie 20.1's, and got a pair of 1201's to replace an older pair of MC275's. They are very nice, and easy on the ears, they also have responded quite surprisingly to tweaks (power cords, and feet). They now present a dead quiet background, and excelent frequency response. There might be some synergy with the ribbon tweeters in the 20.1's, because I am able to run them full, without a shunt resister.

Overall, I agree with the above comments, and am very happy they seem to be very active in the high-end once again.

Duane
JULES

out of everything i have ever saw wrote about mcintosh gear & how it sounds or what kind of buyer mac gear appeals to your comments are right on point.

mike.