McIntosh - is it that great?

I'm just curious if McIntosh gear is all that great. How does their older power amps compare to new products from other high end manufactures? Are there any products I should stay away from. I like the idea of owning vintage McIntosh stuff. Most of their stuff seems pricy. Is it because it's that good or do people just like to collect their products. thanks for you opinions--Matt
mattman
Is it possible to call Clarion for parts to the McIntosh range? I myself need parts for the MC2100, where right channel is dead. Can anyone confirm that Clarion has parts ?
Went into the local Mc dealer yesterday at lunchtime. Wanted to check out a MA6900.
Asked him what he had in the way of integrated amps. First he took me to receivers. I looked at him and said "I asked about integrated amps not receivers". Next he pulled out a book and showed me a $200 dollar Panisonic unit. I finally asked about the McIntosh units. He showed me a MA6500 and said he could get a MA6900 with a seven band equalizer. I said, "really!" "Are you sure they don't have 5 band equalizers." He just rolled his eyes and assured me they have seven band equalizers.
So I inquired as to what was the best price on a MA6900. I was quoted $5K. Mcintosh has raised thier prices.
The door did not hit me in the arse on the way out.
I bought an MC-7270 in 1990 for $1900. Over the years , the soothing blue meters faded from direct sunlight, the tiny ridges in the knobs flattened out. I sold it for 1895 on ebay last week