Current limit onset definition?

My Spectral DMA 180 indicates in specs that Current Limit Onset is 40 amps. It also says peak current 60 amps. Anyone know what this means?
ptss
Hi Ralph,

Yes, but it is also true that 90 amps into 0 ohms is 0 watts (or, more precisely, some relatively small amount of power since no conductor can be exactly 0 ohms, assuming the temperature is not near absolute zero). Isn't it possible **in the case of a solid state amplifier** that the dead short is placed across the output of the amp, and the current through that short which results from application of a 10 ms signal to the input of the amp is measured?

Best regards,
-- Al
No, I don't think so. 90 amps through a 600 watt output section would toast the output devices in a heartbeat. Or less.

The 90 amp figure simply has nothing to do with the output section. It has to do with the power supply.
Ralph,(Atmasphere I think). Why square the 90?
I see nothing about squaring in the power formula.
Ptss, the amount of power delivered into a resistive load is:

P = (I squared) x R

where P = power (in watts)
I = current (in amperes)
R = resistance (in ohms)

An alternative formula which produces the same result is:

P = (E squared)/R

where E = voltage (in volts)

Both of those formulas can be mathematically derived from the definition of power (E x I for a resistive load) in combination with Ohm's Law (I = E/R).

Also, the reason Ralph referred to a 600 watt output section is that most of the amplifiers which have been discussed are rated as being able to continuously supply around 600 to 700 watts or so into a 2 ohm load.

Regards,
-- Al