PX-25 tube amp with Merlin VSM speakers?

I love my Merlins and am mulling over an amp upgrade. I've heard of people driving Merlins with low powered SET and OTL amps, but, for example, the Art Audio PX-25 amp is only 6 WPC. Is that enough juice?

Thanks for any insights.
dazzlingmd
I am listening to my Art Audio PX-25 play as I type - fabulous, but with horns and not the Merlins. Instead of getting a new a new amp I suggest auditioning several different A/C wall outlets such as Furutech, Synergistic Research, and Oyaide. Very rewarding exercise.
I am listening to my Art Audio PX-25 play as I type - fabulous, but with horns and not the Merlins. Instead of getting a new a new amp I suggest auditioning several different A/C wall outlets such as Furutech, Synergistic Research, and Oyaide. Very rewarding exercise.
Thanks everyone and yes, the Art Audio PX-25 amp for sale here is tempting me a bit, although I don't need an attenuator (definitely want to keep using my Allnic L-3000 preamp, which strikes me as a good fit with a PX-25 given the incredible level of detail that the Allnic delivers), and I'm not sure about the price if in part it relates to the attenuator and if I'm going to need a $500 pair of replacement tubes. Mulling it all over, though.

John, my room is fairly small, but I do not feel the need for a subwoofer. In recordings that are somewhat bass-heavy in my opinion (e.g. Beatles Abbey Road, Stevie Ray Vaughan vinyl remasters-Couldn't Stand the Weather), the bass is full and powerful. In recordings that are somewhat bass-lean (e.g. some of the Doors vinyl remasters) the bass sounds a little lean. In other words, to my ears in my room the Merlins produce tight, musical bass that is appropriately powerful when that's what's present in the recording.

I could see how in a larger room you might need a sub to have appropriately full and rich bass.

If you're near Denver at some point, you should come by and have a listen and see what you think.
FWIW, I took a long, hard look at that AA PX-25 amp the last time it was up for sale when I was working on my amp changes (ended up deciding to build an Audio Note Kit 1 300 B amp). The seller seems to have dropped his asking price $100 this time around.
I'm sure it's a gorgeous sounding amp. It sure looks beautiful! I'd only suggest you do some research on the price of PX 25 tubes. They are not the most readily available tube out there, and I recall, as you say, that current production tubes (KR's?) were going for around $500 per matched set. So you kind of have to figure that into your cost.
Good luck!
Hello Dazzling MD,

Here is my two cents with respect to your question.

I have owned the exact speakers that you have currently and powered them with a variety of amps. I would offer the suggestion that you investigate the AUDIO MIRROR 45 watt SET amps. They most definitely would have enough juice to power the Merlins to whatever levels you might desire.

I have a room that is similar in size to yours at 14' x 20' and the AM's really made beautiful music with the Merlins.

They are basically bulletproof amps (mono blocks) as they are self biasing as well as they will shut themselves down if overdriven. I never got to that point with them but did with a pair of Harbeths that I owned which are less efficient than the Merlins.

The AM's use a pair of 6c33c power tubes (which is what BAT and Joule use) and a 6sl7 for an input tube and 6sn7 for a driver tube. The amps is very receptive to making a substantial improvement in sonics from stock with adding NOS 6sn7's and 6sl7"s. I would also recommend the VT99 as a driver tube which is even better IMO than the 6sn7 but it does require an adaptor.

These amps are hand made in Houston by a gentleman named Vlad Bazelkov. He was great to work with and made mine custom with balanced instead of single ended inputs as well as adding V caps instead his stock caps.

These amps really knocked it out of the park with a huge soundstage and excellent dimension and detail without a hint of harshness. You already have a great front end with the Allnic so the sonics should be spectacular.

I hope that this gives you something else to think about as an alternative to the 6 watt SET you had inquired about.

All the best,

Scifi